Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45Auto vs. 45Colt

Boolit Master

45Auto vs. 45Colt

When it comes to revolvers, more specifically a S&W 25 or 625. Which caliber do you like better and why? I already load and cast for both calibers. I personally like both, but have to admit I like the 45Colt more. However the only experience with the 45Auto has been in a 1911. Also fill me in on the 45AR.

Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the convertible Ruger and strangely enough the .45 ACP seems to be a bit
    more accurate than the 45LC. Not sure how this would impact the 25s and 625s.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

If the 1st 2 numbers of the caliber in question are "45" you simply can't go wrong.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I have the convertible Ruger and strangely enough the .45 ACP seems to be a bit
    more accurate than the 45LC. Not sure how this would impact the 25s and 625s.

Bill
    I have fouind this to be the case with my Ruger .45 convertible as well.

Banned
    There's one big difference between the 45 acp and the 45 Colt in the Ruger Blackhawk. The 45 acp has all that throat in the cylinder to travel before it hits the barrel. I think that does something magical to it as my convertible shoots the 45 acp more accurately.

Joe

I have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible, and I shoot both. I use the 45 ACP for small stuff, hunting small game, plinking, and what not, but then I go into bear country I drop in the Colt cylinder, and load it up with 350gr boolits.

In mine, the 45 ACP shoots more accurately, and is a lot more fun to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master
    In a S&W, .45 ACP. Why? Because of full moon clips.

Robert

Boolit Master

2nd Nut - you also asked about the 45AR. It's just an ACP case with a rim. No more moon clips. I just got a bunch myself, from Starline. Can't wait to load em up and get em dirty!! Mike

My Smith model of 1989 is scary accurate with Lyman 200 grn. swc and 231. Still I like my Bisley convertible. Like others have noticed the acp cylinder seems to shoot a smidgen better.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

When it comes to punching paper, you just flat cannot beat a 625 in .45 ACP. You can also load it to somewhat exceed original .45 Colt Specs.

However, if you are talking maximum available power between the two, the .45 Colt with it's greater case capacity is the champ.

It is interesting to note that John Linbaugh's wife's favorite is an S&W .45 Colt that she uses with a 454424 250-260 gr bullet at 900 fps for hunting antelope and mule deer. She has been quite successful. That level of performance is available in the .45 ACP and Auto Rim.

I have recently acquired a SS Ruger 5½" .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible but haven't shot it enough to have a firm opinion as to its relative strengths and weaknesses. I HAVE shot it enough to be very positive towards it, tho'.

Dale53

Boolit Master

the 45acp[loads] do very good in a S&W 460 dont know you pulled the trigger if it wasnt for sound

Boolit Master
    I like both calibers and have had revolvers including S$W model 25s in both. I have also had a couple of ruger convertables. The ACP is more accurate in either revolver. The 45 colt has more power and is accurate enough for most practical purposes. Today I do not own a revolver in 45 acp but have several in 45 colt. I reserve the acp for an auto pistol round.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
    The 45 colt has more power and is accurate enough for most practical purposes.
    Reminds me of something Jack O'Connor once wrote: "Damned with praise so faint as to be inaudible"! Happily my own .45 BH has "enough accuracy for practical purposes" and will group -1.5" when I do my part, .456" throats and all..... Dennis

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    2nd Nut - you also asked about the 45AR. It's just an ACP case with a rim. No more moon clips. I just got a bunch myself, from Starline. Can't wait to load em up and get em dirty!! Mike
    Does this mean the 45 AR can be used in a Ruger 45 Colt cylinder just like the 45LC case?

Banned

i have the 625 would love the colt version.
    but have enough lattitude with the acp/ar brass that i haven't missed the colt version that bad.
    so far everything from 160 to 250 gr boolits have done rather well and i is accurate.
    i keep the moon clips full of federal classics for it as the house gun.
    haven't gotten to working with the 454424 just yet but it does go with 452664 when out and about.
    i went with the 4" and if i'd known i'd have liked it this much i think i would have bought a 5" to go with it.
    it's just an easy to carry, easy to shoot, accurate little gun with options in ammo.
    oh yeah put a high vis front sight on yours if you get one.

no the ar rim is thicker.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by changeling View Post
    does this mean the 45 ar can be used in a ruger 45 colt cylinder just like the 45lc case?
    no..............

Boolit Master

I've never seen a Ruger convertable that you could use Auto Rim brass in. Mine will, when I get to it because I'm gonna fix it. All Ruger had to do was make the cylinder a touch shorter in the rear (.028" in mine) and they'd fit.

Boneheads.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I have a pair of 625's and a Ruger convertible in.45 . If the goal is a 240- to 250 grain bullet at about 1000 fps, the Smith Revolvers will do that with ease, and punch right through most things south of Canada. They are more efficient with loads up to that level, and produce fine accuracy. If having .44 magnum level power is a necessity, then the Blackhawk would be the better choice, get both cylinders. I had my ACP cylinder modified to shoot AR. I generally keep hunting loads around in AR cases, 250 grains, 13.5 grains 2400. Ikeep my target loads in ACP cases ,usually around 5 grains 231 with a 200 gr. (452460) and I can also shoot that load in my 1911's.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Buddy

25 in 45LC

was shooting a 4-6'' group at 50' sizing the 255gr Keith to .452

bumped it up to .454 and the group shrank to 1.5''

the recoil is a little stiffer but the cases dont show excessive pressure

Doc.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
    I had my ACP cylinder modified to shoot AR.
    Can you still shoot it with ACP brass after having the cylinder modified for Auto Rim?? Did you do the modification? If not who did it for you? I might have my Ruger convertible done if it will still shoot ACP brass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast