Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Success with a Ruger No.1 - 9.3x74R

Success with a Ruger No.1 - 9.3x74R

I have been working on a cast bullet load for my Ruger No.1 9.3x74R. I did not want to invest in custom bullets molds, sizing dies, and gas checks. Paper patched .358 cast bullets seem to satisfy everything. With a Saeco #352 mold and wheel weight alloy I cast a .358 bullet. With two wraps of vellum tracing the diameter is 0.367-0.368. Finished weight is 250 gr. No bullet lubricant is used. Cases are neck expanded with a Lyman 9.3mm M-die and loaded to 2500 fps. The powders I have used are Varget, Reloader No.15, IMR-4064. All work well. The accuracy of these paper patched bullets is the same as the jacketed bullets that I have tried. On November 27, I shot a wild boar with one of these bullets. He dropped in his tracks.

Bullets pictured left to right are: Paper patched Saeco #352 250 gr., Speer 270 gr., Barns 250 gr. XFS, Noslar 250 gr. Accubond, Priv Partizan 286 gr., and Hornady 286 gr. SP/RP.

Boolit Master

Good shootin'.
    No oink left in him.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

That is why I paper patch.
    I like the sight on your #1.
    I always liked reciever sights.

Boolit Master
    Excellent RR
    The 9.3X74R with it's long neck, low pressure loads and rim make it about the best cast boolit cartridge for a single shot in my opinion..
    You can load it down to 38-55 BP vel. all the way up to 9.3X62 vel. in your Ruger and it will take any thing in N. American. and Africa were it make a name for itself over 100 years ago...
    Last edited by Nrut; 12-05-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nicely done, sir!

I have that NECG sight on my #1 in 45-70, with the low front sight post in place (Ruger has 3 heights) the staff will almost get me to 400 yards with 405 grain boolits at 1300 FPS.

Is that Hornady bullet on the far right a new product? I'm not familiar with it.

I've done a bit of paper patching with the 9.3 x 62/CZ-550. I used 195 grain Lyman #358430s in pure lead and wrapped them two thicknesses of 9# bond paper. They shot VERY well for me, as have cast boolits from a Mountain Molds design I tweaked.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

The Hornady 286 gr. SP/RP bullets have been out about six months.

By any chance, did you recover the slug from that boar? Would love to see what it looked like.

Arclight

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I'm glad to see you have had such good results with your Ruger #1. A local dealer has one in both 9.3 and 450-400. Tough choise, not having enough for either makes it easier....I'm going to have to try PP in my Marlin 47-70..