RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Priming With Lee Loader - Any Accidental Discharges?

Boolit Mold

Priming With Lee Loader - Any Accidental Discharges?

Although I have reloaded for over 30 years, I just bought my first Lee Loader. I have to say that I am outright scared every time I prime a casing pounding the primer into the case mouth. Has anyone on this Board ever had a primer go off during this stage of using a Lee Loader?

The answer is YES! I started with LEE Loaders and a primer going off scares the hell out of
    ya!!!

Boolit Buddy
    My first Lee loader was a gift from my brother more that 30 years ago and I used it last summer. I've loaded countless ammo with it without ever a problem and just bought 2 new ones a few months ago. I've got regular dies for the 303Brit and 308Win but still like the ability to do stuff at the range or just load 10-20 rounds. Very pleased with them, never had a primer go off.

Thonotosassa, Florida/ Pensacola, N. Carolina
    yes, I had one Winchester large rifle primer go off while seating it in a 30-30 casing. I now do it with a Lee hand primer.

Boolit Master
    yes, my first was a 222...i now use a lee hand primer, and some of the similar screw in shell holder primer seaters.....but no more beating them in!
    only accurate rifles are interesting

About 40 years ago I was reloading on my Mother's kitchen table. She was complaining that it was dangerous and I assured her that I knew what I was doing. I popped a primer and got chased out with a broom. I hand loaded a lot of ammo on a picnic table in the back yard. Later Don

Le Loup Solitaire

Lee Loader Priming

Yes, started out with a Lee Loader In 45 ACP and one went off... very scary and also burned fingers. Once was more than enough. IMHO Knowing well that primers are shock sensitive, this system or idea had to be one of the most stupid to be put on the market. Whoever thinks it is otherwise or clever can enjoy themselves with a hammer in hand. If you find another way to prime/seat primers the kit (although a bit slow) can turn out decent ammo. A neighbor get rid of the kit for me at a yard sale. I moved on to a press and never looked back. It is an economical, way to start out, but horse-sense is still the better part of valor. LLS

Boolit Master
    Yep I do pop the odd primer still.

You don't have to "drive a nail in" to seat a primer.

Couple of light taps does it.

I go better with out the shell holder and get more feel that way by pressing down the case with the rod as well.

No ill effect I have encounted with them going off yet except a dirty rod and and a quick step back from heckling onlookers.

( I think they are jealious cos they need half a workshop to load a round)
    Barra

Boolit Master

Yep, I was demonstrating how to use it to a prospective customer , but when I blew the primer I blew the sale!~

Boolit Buddy

I started loading .45 Colt on a Lee Loader in 1976. Popped my first primer in my apartment and immediately bought a Lee priming too.
    Will Fly For Boolits

IMHO speed is the killer. if u seat the primer slowly, it will not go off. even if it's
    seated in vetical in the case. try squeaseing a primer in a vise. no problem.
    i have deprimed many primed cases and if done slowly no problem.
    FWIW; i allso weld on gas tanks, propane tanks and no problem there either.
    jb

Boolit Grand Master
    I reloaded a few 410's and about a pickup truck load of 20 Guage, but no metallic cartridges with Lee loaders. I never popped a primer but always wondered about it.

These days I prime everything with an RCBS hand primer; unless I am using a progessive press.

Robert

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    About 1 in 100 (ish)

Still, I only use the LL primer function when reloading "back in the woods". Otherwise I use a Hand Prime.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Mold
    In forty years of reloading I have popped maybe half a dozen. Other than a startle no harm has ever been done. I still use Lee Loaders for my hunting ammo. Only use a press for pistol & revolver ammo.

I do have a hand primer but seldom use it.

Ron - still has all his fingers

Boolit Master
    Have used priming tools from the start, I never had one go off. Curious, I put a primed empty case in my 44 Blackhawk just to see how loud it would be. Everyone came running downstairs to see what just happened. The windows had been open and the neighbor heard it too.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Gentlemen,

My CAS buddy recently told me of how his LL for 12 gauge became a barrel as he had his left hand around the LL and struck the crimp. That is when the shot hit the fan (actually the ceiling). Yikes!

I have posted this before, but I suppose it bears mentioning again. I had a Lee Hand Prime II blow up in my right hand when priming some 45 ACP cases (90+ primers in the tray went kaboom). The instructions, which I never read, of course, said only to use CCI or Winchester primers and I was using Brand X. Like an idiot I was not wearing eye protection and did take a couple of pieces of plastic shrapnel in the face. I suppose the good Lord watches out for children and fools, as I suffered no eye injury and only got a purple swollen hand and a few cuts out of the mishap. It could have been worse! I would humbly submit that users of these products read and heed the instructions!

Boolit Master
    I had one for my .22 Hornet when I first started reloading. I would get a primer to fire about once every 300 or so rounds. Never could figure the cause; it wasn't more sensitive batches of primers nor was it necessarily a cocked or otherwise poorly started primer. Just the odd one at the tail end of the statistical bell curve going off.

Of course, the Lee setup is pretty well designed to minimize any damage that might occur, but I got tired of jumping when the things went off. Also it took several hours to load fifty shells. I sold the Lee and got a Pacific Super press and RCBS dies. Primers never go off when you squeeze them in, at least in my experience, even when they are squeezed in sideways.

Took about six months of using the new setup before the accuracy came back to the level I routinely got with the Lee Loader.

Boolit Master

Lee Loader priming tool

Anyone seen the kits that came with a little priming tool? Looked like a small RCBS squeeze type, red handles, built in shell holder. They work great.

Banned
    Yep

38 spcl Lee Loader...about the 4th time it happened....I upgraded.

No harm no foul but it gets your attention full and undivided like.

Boolit Master
    I had a Lee Loader in 1980 that came with the first 44mag SBH I ever bought
    It had a hand primer with it. no shell holder. It was dedicated to that case only.
    After reading this thread I went to Lee site to see what was different.
    Gees, why did they quit having the hand primer with it?
    Anyway, I probably loaded about 10 rounds and bought a press.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast