Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cast bullets in .223

Boolit Buddy

Cast bullets in .223

Starting to experiment .

For an AR , hopefully , if not , then in a bolt gun .

50 grain FP GC .

I know this is probably not going to be as straight forward as .30 caliber and bigger .

Constructive suggestions solicited .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Master
    I use a RCBS 55 grain with 8.0 grains of Unique--2,100 FPS in my Rem 700---I have not used any cast bullets in a a semi-auto rifle...this caliber is very sensitive to the wind, but on a good day, very accurate.

The 223 does not lend itself well to the cast boolit. Hence the 22 LR swaged 224. You might find the swagers willing to trade you swagged 224 for cast boolits.
    Last edited by sheepdog; 11-30-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sheepdog makes a good point as I also use a .22-250 with cast bullets..using the same bullet (55 grain RCBS-GC) the .22-250 is far more accurate, however the .22-250 sports a varmint bull barrel... I do happen to think that the .223 with cast bullets is accurate enough for me out to medium ranges...to me it is just a souped up .22 Magnum RF...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I use a RCBS 55 grain with 8.0 grains of Unique--2,100 FPS in my Rem 700---I have not used any cast bullets in a a semi-auto rifle...this caliber is very sensitive to the wind, but on a good day, very accurate.

Do you know the barrel twist ?

What lube are you using ?

I also have a Ruger .223 bolt gun .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Master
    I am sorry, I don't know....for lube I use a homemade lube of 50% church candles & 50% lithium grease. I used to use the NRA 50/50 Alox/beeswax--mine works just as well.

Boolit Master

I purchased a RRA AR15 with heavy varmit barrel in 1:12 twist just for cast boolits and it shoots pretty good with RCBS 22-055 fp @ .225, felix lube and AA2015 @17.5 gr. Don't
    know the speed but it cycles the action good throwing cases about 3 feet.

Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. There many shooters on this board that shoot cast in there AR, It's easer than you think.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done.
    We never said can't. Maybe shouldn't but not can't. You can shot cast out of Glocks just fine but is it worth the effort of cleaning after every box? Honestly buying a special firearm that just geared towards cast doesn't sound practical to me.

If you don't see a caliber under Lee's available moulds its probably because there isn't a market, need, or practicality for it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    We never said can't. Maybe shouldn't but not can't. You can shot cast out of Glocks just fine but is it worth the effort of cleaning after every box? Honestly buying a special firearm that just geared towards cast doesn't sound practical to me.

If you don't see a caliber under Lee's available moulds its probably because there isn't a market, need, or practicality for it.
    Gosh, where do you get all this misinformation? Lee probably doesn't make 22 caliber molds because it's harder to cut the cherries accuracy and cut the cavities in the mould. It's not because there's no demand for them.

Whoever told you that you have to clean your Glock after every box told you wrong.

Because of all this misinformation you have gotten you're missing out on lots of fun.

Joe

I've been having good luck with these little honeys lately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RoosterRedHP.JPG  
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Yeah... so that's why they don't make any .359" rifle molds...

Boolit Master

Little Honies?

No way you can post a picture like that(they look awesome!) and not give the goods. Old Lyman 224450 hp'd?

18gr of H-4895 and a 55gr cast (With GC and bullshop SG) shot REALLY good in my Remington 788.

I'll be watching this one with eagle eyes.

I'm thinking of replacing my 22LR and find casting fun. I was thinking of a 22/250AI or 22BR with trail boss for cast and then loading them up with jacketed bullets for varminting at longer ranges.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post

Whoever told you that you have to clean your Glock after every box told you wrong.

I shoot cast out of my G26 with the original barrel and have never had any problems. I do clean after shooting but do this with all of my guns that shoot cast. I clean because I want to not because I have to so I would have to agree with you. Although I know there is going to be somebody that 's going to tell me how my Glock is gonna blow up on me someday.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Gosh, where do you get all this misinformation? Lee probably doesn't make 22 caliber molds because it's harder to cut the cherries accuracy and cut the cavities in the mould. It's not because there's no demand for them.

Because of all this misinformation you have gotten you're missing out on lots of fun.

Joe

Talk about misinformation... Who told you Lee uses cherries?

Boolit Master

I use the 55gr LEE Bator Mold in my 223 Rem chambered AR15. This weekend, I found I had to seat the boolit deeper than my standard 55gr spitzer due to that nice rounded meplat on the boolit was engaging the rifling and not letting the bolt seat properly. Nice accuracy out to 100 yards so far. no recoil to speak of at 9gr of Unique and ejects the case cleanly. More information when I can get to the range again.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
    Wyr

Good to see you're still alive & kicking..

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I use the 55gr LEE Bator Mold in my 223 Rem chambered AR15. This weekend, I found I had to seat the boolit deeper than my standard 55gr spitzer due to that nice rounded meplat on the boolit was engaging the rifling and not letting the bolt seat properly. Nice accuracy out to 100 yards so far. no recoil to speak of at 9gr of Unique and ejects the case cleanly. More information when I can get to the range again.

Bruce
    Bruce that is just the info I was looking for, I have an AR15 w/ a 1 in 9 twist and just purchased the Lee Bator mold, I cast about 75 boolits but have yet to load any up.
    I'll be watching for your range report.

Boolit Master

My AR15 has a 1/9 twist also. I probably won't be able to get out there for another few weeks. I'll follow up when I've got a chance to shoot it again.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast