Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: K98 Mauser Education Needed

Boolit Master

K98 Mauser Education Needed

Picked up my first SC 03A3 last night after many yrs of wanting, just finally said do it or forget it. Will start a new thread when I get time with details.

My FFL knows I have a thing for the military surplus weapons and says look what I got in....K98, and of course once you pick it up that story has been told before. I've never paid that much attention so now that its close by and I can see it any time, wanting to see what there all about.

First thing that I've been reading on is all the stamping on the top and what they mean? From doing a little searching on here the chamber is more important than groove diameter for shooting cast.

Please share your experience good and bad as I do some more internet reading.
    thanks
    DWD

Boolit Master
    First thing I would do is complete tear down of bolt inspect/clean and good cleaning of locking lug area in forward receiver. If your going lead a chamber or pound cast may be a good place to start for loading dimensions.

Boolit Master
    Check the crown and muzzle end. Cleaning rod wear can wash out the last inch or so of the barrel. The muzzle end has more to do with accuracy or lack of it than the chamber end. You can always seat bullets out. Some extreme cases of wear they drilled the rifling out for an inch or so at the muzzle, to reach good rifling, so check the front end. The barrel might look bad and it just needs a good cleaning. First thing I look at is the price tag. I can fix the rest.

Boolit Master

the M98 is a controlled feed system and sometimes the extractor claw can be damaged if cartridges are loaded directly into the chamber as opposed to being feed from the magazine...check the extractor claw for damage
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

I have most of the major models from the 91 through the 48 and they are all fun to shoot with cast. Each one is different and you will just have to see what yours likes. Good luck and enjoy.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Dan,

I think this is the web page you're looking for:

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/gbkomen.html

I hope this gets you started...
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master

Try http://mausercentral.com/forum/index.php and click on the Tech Talk (second one down). There are some stickies that may help, plus the guys there are very good at answering questions.

Oh.... BTW, you are now hooked on milsurps and there's no cure, especially when you add cast boolits!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    got the bug myself. spent all week working up loads for the 03a3, mosin and k98 mauser. anyone used imr 4198 with the heavier (235, 245 grain) bullets in the k98? I am trying to get decent accuracy with velocities of 1900-2000 fps.
    seems like 33 grains worked ok today.
    thanks guys.