Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: help with powder burn rate

Boolit Master

help with powder burn rate

Not shure where to put this so spank me if I am wrong. Got 60+ pounds of powder today at the FB gun show. Lots of different flavers, but a few I have never seen. Would appreciate any tidbits of info to help place a burn rate on them. Most are listed in Wolfs propelent profiles but a few have me stumped.
    Win - 500HS
    Win - 450LS
    Norma - 200
    Hodgden - 4676
    If I can just place them on my burn rate chart I can take it from there. Thanks, Yall have a nice day now hear!
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    WOW!!! all the thousands of years of combined experiance on this board and not a single helpfull responce to this post. I stand in disapointed disbelief.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    DaN: THE following from the powder burn rate table in Speers Manual#8: 500 HS,betwixt AL-5 and AL-7,(and very similar to HS-5) ;; 450LS,betwixt Bullseye and Red Dot,a bit faster than old 230P ;;; Norma 200,betwixt IMR 4227 and IMR 4198...Hodgdon 4676, Nada, but 3 out of 4 isn't minor league, Who said,WHINING DOESN't HELP...???!! Onceabull...OH Yeah , there are some loads for these powders in the aforementioned manual..Not up to typing examples,now, if you need , e-Mail me....
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    Onceabull
    Thanks thats just what I was looking for. Yes whining helps, it is usualy my first recourse with my wife. If that dosent work I try praise,but this must be used with extream caution as an overcharge can have extended negitive effects requiring more extream measures (spending $) for future compliance. Not to worry about the 0 help on the H 4676 as there is some load data printed on the back of the can that places it about the same as the N 200.
    Thanks Friend
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master

Wow--I thought those powders sounded familiar. Just dug out an old Lyman shotshell manual from the 60's and there they were! 450ls was Winchesters fastest shotshell powder according to that Lyman manual. Both were used in the 12 and 20 ga but I don't ever remember anyone using them that I knew.

Boolit Master

Bullshop, the best powder burn rate chart I've seen is here:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/powder/powder.htm

Ray

Smile

Thanks, Ray. That allows me to update my Burn Rate Chart in "My Documents" for future reference.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    WE, that chart has several glaring errors in some very narrow spots. More so than some other charts. But, that's OK because this chart is an industrious attempt to be complete which it is indeed. If you have any narrow questions, please come back on this thread (if it can be found at that time).

BS, I'm sorry I did not field your request myself, but Onceabull was gracious enough to keep a keen eye out. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Probably NOT true in AK, but here in the lower 48 the 200 was worth a lot of money to those folks hat could not find it any more. It is supposed to be perfect for the 30 Herrett.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

Winchester 500hs shotgun powder

I have a can of the win 500hs. It is a tiny ball shotgun powder. The winchester
    pamphlet warns, in the
    data for shotgun, to use primers that are covered to avoid powder getting into the
    primer.

Would this make an okay cast bullet powder for the military rifles? 308, 06, 30-40 etc?
    Any data out there? Would powder in the primer be a bad or dangerous thing?