RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Price of Lead....is this good?

Price of Lead....is this good?

Yesterday I stopped by a local (Ontario, CA) company that makes lead products like lead x-ray shields, roof flashing, etc.

They will sell pure lead scraps, 100# minimum for $.35 per pound.

Good price?
    Stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    The last scrap lead I sold was for .08 an lb, so I don't consider .35 good. If you NEED pure lead for some reason it might be a sellers market, but if WW will do you fine than you ought to be able to line them up for .1 an lb, unless it is illegal in cali to do so

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Super Moderator

.............It's a little pricy but that is compared to the last I got. If there is no other source, it beats the heck out of paying $1.50/lb at a plumbing supply. At that price it puts your 500 gr 45 cal bullets at about 2.5 cents each. Additional value may be placed on the fact that you are probably assured the lead is as pure as you can get.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I would call it ok. Lead prices have gone through the roof. Not sure I could buy dirty scrap here for that price.........Creeker

Boolit Grand Master
    Ron--

That is a pretty fair price--late last year, I paid 27 cents/# for WW metal, plus 15 cents/# for smelting--42 cents total.

PM sent.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I found a place for WW and other lead for 10 to 15 cents a lb when I can't scrounge it free....

FWIW,

Dennis

(Last time I asked the ol' boy about buying some lead, he gave me a 2 lb coffee can full of already cast 160 gr .357 WW boolits from a Saeco mould to try. All I had to do was size and lube! Sometimes Lady Luck appears in the weirdest places....)

Boolit Buddy
    That's a good price. The price of base metals has followed the price of precious metals through the roof. If the place you're talking about is Alchemy Castings in Hamilton Ont. Ca. they're decent people to do business with. Say Hi to Bill their batcher. Ron.

That's a buy price in my book.........Creeker

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    That's cheaper than dirty (100y/o) roof lead on ebay... and the smelting's easier too.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

My Price?

I get about every other month 2 5 gal buckets of wheel weights for 1 case of Harpoon IPA and a six pack of Moxie. Works out to about $11 a bucket. The other source is $10 per 5 gal bucket. I have over 1000 lbs of ww waiting to be smelted into ingots. I also got 4 25lb linotype pigs for $75, 16lbs linotype for $12 and 75lbs of linotype for .50 per pound.
    YMMV

Boolit Master
    That ain't bad if you have a use for lead. If you have to buy tin and antimony to alloy it, that'll seriously bite your wallet. Equal parts of lead and WW will make good WC or .45-70 bullets.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.