Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Load for S&W airweight

Boolit Buddy

Load for S&W airweight

Any recommendations for a practice load for a S&W 638 airweight?
    Thanks a Million,
    Rex

148gr wad cutter with the starting grains for 231. That's what I use when I shot 38.

Boolit Grand Master

My carry gun is a 642. I shoot H&G Dbl Ended W/C's (not all that different from most 148 gr w/c's) ahead of 3.5 grs of Bullseye for practice. I carry the FBI load (Federal in my case) for "business" use.

I cast my own w/c's, and seat them sprue out, taper crimping on the back end of the first band. Sprue out guarantees perfect bases (this is also my Bullseye load for revolvers) and seating a band out of the case helps to line up the front of the cartridge with the cylinder throat.

I load these in volume, so I ALWAYS have practice loads on hand.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    You're saying you load the WCs in backwards? Or am I misunderstanding that?

Boolit Master
    148 gr wadcutter with 2.7 gr Bullseye. Good for point of aim at 10 yards, and very accurate in my S&W 642. I have been told that this is the 'standard' load for 148gr .38 wadcutters, and I've been very satisfied with it.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

dualsport;
    I use the H&G #251 double ended wadcutter (they are the same on either end). By seating them "backwards" with the sprue end showing, I get perfect "bases". It is a bit "ugly" but they maximize the accuracy potential.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    148 gr wadcutter with 2.7 gr Bullseye. Good for point of aim at 10 yards, and very accurate in my S&W 642. I have been told that this is the 'standard' load for 148gr .38 wadcutters, and I've been very satisfied with it.

Randy
    I tried a cylinder full in my Mod. 60 that had been rattling around in the car for a year or so. Very similar, but I believe mine were 2.8 grains of Bullseye. I was surprised they shot right to the sights in my gun, and very mild. Good for practice.

Boolit Master
    Try 4.2g of Unique under a 158g SWC... I like the Lee TL version, but I'd also take the 358477 any day...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. I have never fooled with an aloy frame revolver before and they worry me a little.
    Rex

In Remembrance
    I bought the Lee .358 105SWC mould--and it's turned out to be one of my favorite all-time boolits as versatile as it is.

For my wife's AW 38, I load up the 105SWC boolits in front of 2.8 grains of Bullseye pushed by a standard Winchester small pistol primer.

This gives her a round she can run two or three cylinders through with without fearing of loosening up the gun.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    My help probably wont be help but ---. I shoot a 150 grain LBT Ogival Wadcutter in a Model 85 Taurus over the lightest load recommended for 231 W. I realize that I am in agreement with Casting Timmy here but in my opinion that powder is very clean. I think you'll like it if you give it a try.