Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Digital Scales?

On Heaven's Range

Mornin', all.

Once I got accustomed to my personal PACT digital scale, I found it to be a veritable gem. I too keep an Ohaus 10-10 (dating from pre-RCBS-ownership) for backup and very occasional excursions. Of course, this means that I DO use the digital scale for powder, all the time.

My immediate check of the validity of the calibration of the PACT digital is that I have the weight of the pan SEARED into my memory...148.7 grains (see?). If the pan does NOT weigh-in at that figure, there is "something rotten in the state of Denmark", and I check further. I recalibrate the scale at the start of each and every loading session. Also, when setting my powder measure with the scale, I "tare", or zero, the scale for EVERY READING ....that is, each time the adjusted powder charge is weighed, I tare the scale first. It only takes seconds-per-reading, and this addresses the well-known tendency of digitals to "drift" just a tad in their operation. It won't drift very danged far in a few seconds, for certain.

A fine quick-and-dirty check across a range of weights is simply to weigh a few different-sized jacketed bullets from major American makers...Sierra, Hornady, Nosler etc. Their bullets are so consistent that if a given bullet weighs-in at more than one grain or so "off" its nominal weight, then investigation of the scale is needed.

Incidentally, my scale lives under an eight-foot double-tube fluorescent light at a distance of about three feet from the tubes, and performs just fine. This does NOT mean that all other electronic scales will do likewise.
    Last edited by BruceB; 06-09-2005 at 10:48 AM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Bruce..Heck yea! I want one

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Count me in also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123