MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Case Lube Types Chapter and Verse

Banned
    My lube for all sizing and cast forming for over 40 years is Rislone oil additive. Shaler Rislone is the greatest oil additive to totally eliminate a sticky lifter. My father-in-law was a Ford shop manager for over forty years and he thought the two greatest automotive additives were Chemtol B-12 for dirty carbuerators and to clean fuel injectors and Shaler Rislone. I add a pint to each oil change in my 2003 Honda Pilot. I tilt up the bottle and let it drip into a prescription bottle. This I use for lubing all cases. A Q tip inside the case mouth and a wipe around the outside of the case. Have had one stuck case in 40 years. I clean all my cases again after sizing and depriming.

Boolit Master

I've been reloading for almost 60yrs. Had one stuck bottleneck rifle case. Using RCBS Case Lube-2 on a lube pad.

Was teaching a newbie about reloading. Laid 5 clean .25-06 cases on top of a Lube pad. FORGOT to roll the cases across the pad. First case stuck, 30yrs of reloading, FIRST STUCK CASE. Got to use that stuck case remover kit I'd bought 10yrs before.

I use HORNADY Spray Lube now. Stuff works GREAT.
    .38-40, .44-40, 5.56, 7.62 & .30-06.

I use the Special spray Lube blocks that SINCLAIR INT'L sells. They are sort off like loading blocks.
    But have only 2 staggered rows of shallow holes and are specifically made To apply SPRAY LUBE.

I also use IMPERIAL SIZING DIE WAX, for that odd case when you're just adjusting a die or making up a dummy round.

And last night I finally stuck a case into a EXPANDER DIE !!!

Was loading on a progressive and paying so much attention to the Powder Measure, that I set a case on top of the Shellplate instead of into the slot. What a pain to get that case off the expander.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    When I wrote my spiel on case lubes it never occurred to me that it would ever become a "sticky" with more than 60 responses. I still experiment with lubes, both commercial and substitutes; someday I'll post a few surprising things I've continued to learn.

I read posts of "I use this XXX lube and never had a stuck case" and "I tried YYY (or XXX!) and got stuck cases". I don't want to twist anyone's tail but, if any good lube is used, all such comments offer little value.

Fact is, the reason most case rims get pulled off is due to a single operator problem; IMPROPER APPLICATION! I don't care what commercial (or good substitute) sizing lube anyone uses, if the stuff isn't properly applied the cases WILL get stuck! When that happens to YOU, learn from the experience but don't blame the lube.

Most of the time I lube with a mix of RCBS Lube dissolved in Alcohol sprayed liberally into tubs of brass ready for resizing. Yeah it worked but I was sick of that sticky mess lanolin was leaving. My stainless pins were polluted with the goo. My shells came out of the tumbler with a black crud. Dawn wasn't cutting the lanolin and I was forced to use white gas to rid the residue.

I was looking for a non-toxic, water soluble lube. Poly-water came to mind. The phone company used to use it for pulling cable through conduit. It came in 5 gallon pails.

I found a product which fills the bill. Dollar Tree sells a personal lube WARMING TOUCH which contains Propylene Glycol, Polyethylene Glycol, Hydroxypropyl Celulose, and Lactic Acid. And in much more convenient size; 2 ounce tube.

For the test I squeeze a dab in my palms and rubbed it around, then rolled brass between your hands. It worked great on the 30-06 and best of all it cleaned up with soap and water.

There are many problems that are still searching for a solution. Luckily with Imperial Sizing Wax, finding the right case lube to use isn’t one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    There are many problems that are still searching for a solution. Luckily with Imperial Sizing Wax, finding the right case lube to use isn’t one of them.
    I agree, I first tried it last year. My spray lube & lube pad have not been used since.

Boolit Buddy
    Only stuck cases I ever got was with One Shot. After I read the instructions and realized that you need to let it dry a few minutes, I never had another stuck case. I just stand the brass in a block and spray at a downward angle from front and back. That way I get lube inside and out. Much easier than a gooey pad.

Boolit Man

I learned some "interesting lubrication" information from this sticky. Next time I resize brass, my home made lube will get a spoonful of Dawn dishwashing liquid, a product that has many uses besides the kitchen sink.

Boolit Master
    GONRA found "STP Oil Treatment" or "Tri Flo Synthetic Grease" both suit the most difficult / beatup "scrap dealer"
    .50 BMG and 14.5x114mm Soviet Lacquered Steel Case Chicom "case preps".
    >>> We're talkin' FULL LENGTH RESIZING and UNIFORM HEADSPACE. <<<
    Last edited by GONRA; 05-06-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234