Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Bought some wire pulling lube

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.

Bought some wire pulling lube

I've heard it makes a good case lube. 1 quart for $5.35 at Lowes. It's the "Ideal" brand label, not the one I had heard of on here, but I figured water based wire pulling lube is water based wire pulling lube. Anyone use it?

Seems a bit less paste like than the lee lube, but still fairly jelly-like. In fact it reminds me of (gasp) KY Jelly... both in looks and feel; and seeing as both are water based lubricants that's not surprising I guess. In fact I'd go so far as to say they are the same thing, as the bottle says 'non toxic'- but I'm not recommending anyone smear it on any parts of their body either.

Looking at it and feeling it, and letting some dry on my hand, I think it may work better wet. Just have to make sure to dry out the dies after use. It doesn't seem to leave as much of a film when dry as does the Lee paste, which is supposedly a similar product, perhaps with white dye added.

I'm sure I'll figure out something to do with it if it doesn't work.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    In fact I'd go so far as to say they are the same thing, as the bottle says 'non toxic'- but I'm not recommending anyone smear it on any parts of their body either.
    You sure the can doesn't say 'Pud Pulling Lube'?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    No, I'm sure about that. It does seem promising though- it seems as though it dries to a non-tacky non-contaminating finish.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    What does the water base do to your dies?

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I've used wire pulling lube (from Lowes) for resizing, but not reforming, cases and lubing CB's prior to sizing them in a Lee push through die. A bit of WD-40 squirted into the resizing die or on a rag used to swab the die has kept them entirely rust free.

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post

I'm sure I'll figure out something to do with it if it doesn't work.
    You've been warned, Martha !
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    You sure the can doesn't say 'Pud Pulling Lube'?
    Make sure you don't get caught pullin the wire more than once!!

Marlinreloader

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I've used wire pulling lube (from Lowes) for resizing, but not reforming, cases and lubing CB's prior to sizing them in a Lee push through die. A bit of WD-40 squirted into the resizing die or on a rag used to swab the die has kept them entirely rust free.
    be careful with WD40. it's a primer killer. remember some years back when
    some state trooper was killed because his revolver would not fire, all the primers
    were dead because of WD40. just food for thaught.
    jb

Boolit Master

Did it once. Got a case stuck in my die on the fourth case. Every case was lubed but maybe not enough. I think I might try it again later when I've got my reloading room set back up at the new place.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I make a batch of Junior's bullet lube and use as case lube and wipe on bullet lube.I beleive it is 1 part beeswax to 3 parts Veggie shortning (or hog fat if you got it) Not much up here in Yankee land of Pennslyvania

that sound like a pretty good price if it works if not maybe some astro glide in a spray bottle would be the way to go but a might spendy I wonder if we could get a group buy for that

Boolit Bub
    I've used gallons of the stuff......................... pulling wire! Never crossed my mind to use it as a case lube. I'll have to think about that.

Banned
    I've been using Ideal #77 wire pulling lube for a couple of years. I believe it is lanolin based. Works well, never a stuck case. Imperial sizing wax for case forming, but for run of the mill sizing pulling lube works fine and is dirt cheap.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jbunny View Post
    be careful with WD40. it's a primer killer. remember some years back when
    some state trooper was killed because his revolver would not fire, all the primers
    were dead because of WD40. just food for thaught.
    jb
    We ran a test on the old Aimmo board a while back. WD 40'd primers would fire if left to dry. I didn't try with powder as I had cases I wanted to deprime, but by themselves the primer had a loud fire when shot by it's self, after being hit with WD40 and drying.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Update: I tried the stuff out. For this particular brand of wire pulling lube, it didn't work so hot. I didn't stick a case, but I could tell it took a lot of force to unseat the case and start the downstroke. Might work fine for straight walled cases though. I was sizing 8mm Mauser.

What I DID find though was that I could blend it. Normally I've been using Lee lube diluted in alcohol or water at a ratio of 9:1 water to lube. For kicks I put some of the wire pulling lube in. I find I can go up to 9 parts water, 9 parts wire lube, and 1 part Lee lube and it works just fine- it seems that the wire pulling lube adds just enough viscosity to the mix to allow the very diluted Lee lube to stick. So I will be able to use it up slowly.

FWIW it dries completely, so as I say, would be fine for straight walled cases. Size, let dry, and load.