Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: approximately how many pounds of lead a year

approximately how many pounds of lead a year

How many pounds of lead, on average, a year do you actually shoot? Just kind of curious to find out from everyone. FYI.. ( 7000 grns = 1 lb)... i.e. 7000 divided by 230 grns =30 .45 ACP boolits = a pound.
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

RIght now I probably shoot less than 4K rounds a year. A few years ago I was going through 2K-3K / month in competition. SO right now, 115# a year or so. My current stash of 1200# isn't going to go too far.

I just started to cast. I only have about 75 to 80 lbs. I am trying to get some more to build up my stock. I can see already that I am loading and shooting more. Probably about 6000 rounds a year. I would need about 100 to 150 lbs a year right now.
    Bob T

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot primarily big bores and go through about 450 to 575 lbs a year. I shoot on average 150 rounds a week. Boolits weigh between 460gr and 580gr. I couldn't afford to shoot unless I cast my own.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I shoot alot of sporting clays (100-150lbs). Not as much as I would like but as much as I can fit in with work and family. Pistols come next about 35-40lbs. Rifles lastly at about 30lbs. I probaly exagerated some but I think that I am close. Once I get loads that I am happy with I will start shooting more. Lots of experimenting going on right now.

I started reloading to save money and started casting to save even more. Boy was I wrong. I am not saving any money but I sure do get to shoot alot more!!

I guess I can say that right now I am shooting around 200lbs of lead a year.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

I shot about 7000 rounds since may. In june I made a 150lbs batch which is now gone. I probably have 9000 boolits sized and lubed and 1000 rounds in the safe. I've only be casting for a year or so, so I can't really give an estimate as to how much lead I use up in a year. I will start shooting IPSC after new years when I get my license. So I'll most likely use more lead in the years to come.
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

stephen perry

Lead Bullets

Making and shooting lead bullets can be 2 different things. Bullets I cast one year might not be shot for 5 years. So a better question may be is how bullets do you Cast a year.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Master
    This year...0 so far. It dawned on me the other day I have been to the range since the week after Christmas.

Last year, the wife and I went through 100 lbs of lead.

Next year I am going to try to shoot 200 lbs more than this year, or double last year.

Galena Guru

Like stubbie , mine are all heavy ..

400 grains in the 480 and 450-645 in the Lott , so a pound dont go too far ..

I try to keep a couple hundred pounds ingots at the least on hand .. I have several hundred pounds of WW , mono , and lino unprocessed as well ..

Probably shoot a couple hundred pounds at the least in a year ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Grand Master

In the neighborhood of 200 pounds a year. .45 ACP and .38 Special mostly, but a fair bit of .30/30, .357 and .44 mag go down range too. I'm good for better than 10 years on curent stores. Not enough.

Boolit Master

I know i would be poor as a church mouse if didn't cast and load. I just can't stop shooting. There is always that load that is is just a litttle more accurate. I think about 200 lbs / year. 45 acp alone i shoot 170 lbs of lead a year. This year was a little less than that, i didn't want to deplete my stash of primers. I only get so low on primers then i quit until i replenish them.
    That dosen't count 22 bullseye shooting. aprox 1000 rds between practice and competion. ( thats salt in a sore this year, i can't find CCI standard Vel any more)