RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need help iding ingot

Boolit Master

Need help iding ingot

The recycler where I go has an ingot, roughly the size of three common bricks, I hesitated buying it even though it's only $.25 a .lb. It's hard as hell, knife tip barely scratches it. A corner is broke off showing a large course crystalline strucure inside, never seen that with lead. It feels a little light compared to lead. Should I take a chance, try a little mixed in with ww? It will either melt in (at about 700deg., float or not melt at all, right? I'm thinking if it's tin I need to jump on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Are there any numbers on it?

I doubt it's tin, tin is very malleable and would scratch very easily with your knife. Could be a high antimony alloy, antimony would break off a piece, look course and be lighter than lead as you mentioned.

Bottom line though, it could be anything.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    The price of antimony is about $10.00 per pound and high antimony lead is over $3.00 per pound. High antimony lead will melt under 600 degrees

Definately test it. at .25 per pound you cannot go wrong if it will melt even if it cannot be used for bullets. It may be tin babbit which commonly has a trace of copper in it. Tin babbit is/canbe hard like hell and commonly costs around $20.00 per pound
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Sounds to me like a Zinc anode. Test it with muriatic acid (brick acid) available at Lowe's/Home Depot. If it's Zinc it will react.

Jerry

Boolit Master

Buy it, melt it separately, then try casting a bullet with it to see how it does. Did the bullet fill out nicely ? Are the bullets really shiney (high tin) ? Weigh the bullet and compare the weight to others you have cast. If much lighter, may need to cut with some lead. I have a bullet that mornally cast 237 gr in ACWW, it yields 166 gr bullets out of 75% tin alloy and 188 gr for a 50/50 alloy.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    The price of antimony is about $10.00 per pound and high antimony lead is over $3.00 per pound. High antimony lead will melt under 600 degrees

Definately test it. at .25 per pound you cannot go wrong if it will melt even if it cannot be used for bullets. It may be tin babbit which commonly has a trace of copper in it. Tin babbit is/canbe hard like hell and commonly costs around $20.00 per pound

$20.00 a pound! Should I be using it in my boolits???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Babbitt.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll get it and see what happens. Not much risk, a lot to gain. I have muriatic acid, I'll try that first, though it doesn't look like an anode. When in doubt, melt it!

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds exactly like zinc. Large crystalline structure is dead on! Surface is a dull grey, rings like bell?, but lighter, this is what we definitely don't want. My ingot was marked prime western(from B.C. Can)

Boolit Master

iding ingot

Well I went back to the recycler, a guy there that's been in the business a while told me it was pot metal. There was no markings on the ingot, but I decided to take his word for it. I don't have to resort to shooting pot metal bullets yet. BUT, boy was I glad I went, (and after a brutal day at work, I'm basically a laborer). 287 lbs. of ww and lead sheet rolls at $.25 a lb.! I almost didn't go, too tired, but you guys got me thinking. Thanks for all the help.