Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Walnut Shell or Corn Cob, Which is a better tubling media?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Walnut Shell

69 67.65%
  • Corn Cob

33 32.35%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Walnut vs CornCob

It seems as though Walnut is available in many places. Are there local sources for Corncob so it could be carried out instead of paying shipping from Grainger? Is it used for pet bedding?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

If you have it shipped to your local Graingers and pick it up yourself their is no shipping. Google Graingers Industrial Supply to find where you local one is at.

Hope this helps

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    If you have it shipped to your local Graingers and pick it up yourself their is no shipping. Google Graingers Industrial Supply to find where you local one is at.

Hope this helps
    Thats what I did.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Thats what this site is all about, <Saving Money>, I Love it.

One of my favorite posts was a while back, when a member said that he got into casting to cut down on his shooting costs.
    Now his casting operation (addiction), is a monthly budget item.

Thanks for the advice on the shipping, I will do just that.

75% CC, 25% walnut. Works really well. Bob

I have found that the corncob in the 1420 grit is the cats meow. I use turtle wax rubbing compound (rouge in a base) on the cob, after mixing it with some cob in a zip lock baggie. I have found that the 1420 size does not seem to plug primer pockets as much as the 1014 size that lyman uses. I just wish that I could have bought the cob in a 5 gallon package instead of the 50lb size, kindly sad to have 3 , 5 gallon buckets sitting in the reloading room. I have also found that it is to my advantage to soak the brass in a vinegar solution prior to polishing as it tend to load up the cob slower; I do dry the brass prior to putting into the polisher.
    God bless America

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    If you can find it, the 2040 grit is the cats meow. Small enough that it flows through the flash hole.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought, "what's up with this, you use what you use, who cares". However, I cannot believe the amount of interest and information that has been gleaned fron this simple question.
    Thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by oksmle View Post
    I've used both & prefer corn cob but now use only "Pureed" rice. I steal some of Mrs. oksmle's dry, long grain rice & run it through her blender set on "Puree" for about 10 seconds. Sift the dust & larger grains out & puree the long grains again 'til they are of a size that won't clog my flash holes & won't log jam in bottle neck cases. Don't use polishing compound & have very little residue left on the cases. The same load has been in my tumbler for a couple of years & I noticed the other day that it needs changing.
    Okmile, you're a genius.
    I was reading your post and chuckling and then realized I had a few hundred pounds of rice I can't eat. I was saving it for the end of the world but then I got diabetes...(Ms Nap claims it's justice because I used to hunt possums with a golf club...2 iron)

Anyway, I can't eat rice anymore or the end of the world will come a little faster....I think I'll try some to polish cases so when the EOW finally gets here, I'll have plenty of ammo to take diabetic food from other people