Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Twist Rate For .416 Taylor?

Boolit Master

more Taylor

Just got the July 1974 Handloader article by Ken Waters on the 416 Taylor. Havent time to read it yet, there is a dim picture of a factory Ruger 416 Taylor. Hmm, how dim witted are these factory types????? I guess maybe it was before lots of folks went to Africa.
    I may have to send a RCBS 350 mold and get it HP'ed. Should be something fun for vermin and such(he he)

Boolit Master
    I'd guess that a HP'ed RCBS mold would cast slugs that would let the air of just about anything walking around except the great bears. ....... with AUTHORITY!

I just checked the Midway link on .416 A&B blanks and they just keep moving their expected arrival date ........ FORWARD!

I get the feeling "somebody" does not want me to get a .416????

Three 44s

Boolit Mold

Let's twist again....

Looking at Shaw's website, it would appear that they are still willing to build barrels in 416 Taylor: I will call tomorrow to confirm this, and to discuss twist rates. The A+B offering is standard at 1-14" and the Shaw at 1-15". I don't believe either manufacturer offers options to these twist rates. I suspect my needs closely parallel other members of this forum: I want to shoot cast boolits for practice (and the odd chipmunk) as well as 400 grain solids for pesky pachyderms/bothersome buffalo out to a maximum of about 400 yards.

Hardcast has posted his experiences with a 1-14" twist, which I will take as the gospel, given our mutual admiration for this wondrous cartridge. What's the consensus on 1-15": will it work as well, or am I apt to see keyholes in Dumbo's forehead out past 15 feet?

Any and all input solicited and sincerely appreciated.

Cheers!
    Cisco

Boolit Master
    The potlickers keep moving the goal post on those A&B .416 blanks over at Midway!

The expected day to receive them just keeps moving out!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=694972

Three 44s

In Remembrance

Three44`s, I have tried "J" bullets, from about any maker of them, in my Taylor. Right now it is zeroed in for Speer 350`s and Barnes 350 gr. solid copper X-bullets. I have put on paper Hornady 400 gr. sp and FMJ as well as Barnes 400 gr. H.P. and Bronze solids. I came into a bunch of old Barnes lead core .416 Rigby bullets a few years back. These are 410 gr. and also shoot well out of my Taylor. By well I mean all 5 shots remain in the 10 ring with no strays. My cast load is with the 350 RCBS mold using ww air cooled with a gas check and cold bear blue lube. I put 50 gr. IMR-3031 and a standard primer in a formed WW .458 mag. case and get "Irish Clover leafs - 5 shots making a 4 leaf clover with no center to it. This is at 100 yds. from my bench. I use a Leupold 1 3/4 x 5X european post crosshair scope as my old eyes do funny tricks with iron sights. The barrel on my "toy" is a McGowan with a 14" twist, done by an old gunsmith in Pa that has passed on now. I have Magna ported the muzzle to make it a tad easier so people lesser built than me can shoot it and enjoy it. Sorry to hear about the run-around you are getting with midway. PM me sometime as I am interested in what is happening. I`ll try to post some results about the H.P. work buckshot did on my mold this Spring.Robert

Boolit Master
    Robert,

I am also thinking that while Midway plays hide and seek with these blanks ........ a McGowen makes a certain amount of sense.

As I'm planning on doing the .416 Taylor conversion to a Savage bolt gun ....... I know a source that can supply a pre-chambered tube for around 300.

When you add up the price of the A&B blank (assuming it ever materializes) plus getting it threaded and chambered (I have a quote of a hundred bucks, which I did not think was high at all!) ........

.......... I would be just shy of 200.

But there still would be shipping charges .................

But in all fairness, the McGowen barrel would likely come in at a shade higher than 300 due to shipping as well.

But an A&B upgrade to a McGowen for 100 bucks ........ does not seem out of line.

If I had my own printing press ............. like the DC set uses ....... I would have had one a long time ago.

LOL

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    A neighbor swung by Sunday eve. and brought his 24" Douglas barreled .416 Taylor built on a Mauser action and some test loads and his chronograph.

He had loads with RL15 and one set with IMR 4320.

I got to fire a few rounds and must say ...... I want one more than ever! The recoil was not quite as much as I expected, he has a Limbsaver pad installed and the only thing I did not like was the SHARP rap on the middle finger from the back side of the trigger guard. Sitting, kneeling or standing ...... my middle finger took a beating.

His loads were all J-worded (Hornady 400 interlocks and Speer 350's) and he was following Ken Water's Pet Loads info. He and I were very surprised by the velocities he was getting. We are talking brushing up against 2400 fps with the 400's! None of his loads were max's either .... starting and midrange to upper mid's .....

The deviations with RL15 were VERY GOOD as well.

My take thus far is that the .416 Taylor is ONE SMOOTH OPPERATOR!

Looking at the loaded rounds and then the empties ...... I had to laugh to myself ...... just thinking about (member) Frank 505 ....... planting some empties now and then for $%$%! and giggles for other hunters to find ...... LOL!

Good cast slugs and this cartridge should be a match made in HEAVEN!

Three 44s

In Remembrance

Three 44s. NOW YOU SEE WHY I LIKE THIS ROUND!!!!!!! I have wondered how you were faring as to getting a barrel. I hope to get some casting done with my modified RCBS mold done by buckshot. The H.P. job he did is beautiful. I will attempt a posting here when I`ve made some and shot them. Keep us posted on your build.Robert

Boolit Master
    I have made no progress waiting for an A&B barrel ...... Midway keeps moving their expected arrival date forward as the calender progresses.

And what with last Sunday's experience, I'm feeling more frustration than ever!

I am getting the "got no .416 Taylor blues" something fierce!!!

Three 44s

In Remembrance

Maybe your buddy can visit you a little more often, and bring his Taylor along? You can get in experience loading for it then. I feel bad because I am here in Mich. and would let you get trigger time on mine!Robert

Boolit Master

Talking

I don't know if you people know that I use to hunt elephants but I had too give it up as the decoys just got to be too heavy for me.

In Remembrance

Elephants? Who`s talking about elephants? I use my Taylor for controlling the field mouse problem in my barn! Racoons fear the mention of my name also.Robert

Boolit Master

Talking

The saber tooth ones are the most dangerous, make sure of shot placement as you might not get a second chance.

Boolit Master
    three44's;,i will keep my ears open for a 416 barrel, the midway a&b barrels are from the lowest bidder. They could be from about anybody, mine is suberbly accurate. Seems about every time I got to the range, there are some 7mm mag empties for me. I gotta learn how to post pics here, got some fun stuff to show.......................

Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    I have not tried the 450's yet, just wondering if anyone has. I will order some from Midway or Grafs or whoever has some.
    I've shot the 450gr Woodleigh.... While I think the standard 1 in 14" is fine 400grs and down, I would want 1 turn in 12" for the 450gr Woodleigh. You can see the yaw in the target at 100yds with 14"... But what bothers me the worst is not staying point on during deep penetration tests. If you were to go to Africa for the big nasty stuff you want a point-on slug to get DEEP.

Eutectic

Boolit Bub

re 416 Taylor twist ----

Was playing around on the online web site for Mtn. Molds. As per it's software for designing your own bullets, 1-14 twist works for up to 450 grain bullets. Not sure what velocity they base that on. That's for an approx. 1.4 in. long bullet. I plan to try mainly paper patch which should be slightly shorter than that - as no grease grooves. Bbl I have on order is 1-14 in. With the lighter bullets-- say 350's maybe too much spin such as a 1-12 would not be good either.

As someone once pointed out, having a faster spin also takes up some more energy, so some net loss in muzzle velocity- all things being equal.

Bob.

http://www.mountainmolds.com/
    Last edited by abob; 03-19-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: missed some info

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Maybe your buddy can visit you a little more often, and bring his Taylor along? You can get in experience loading for it then. I feel bad because I am here in Mich. and would let you get trigger time on mine!Robert

Robert,

I think he will come back because his place is about ten acres so he can safely throw lead around here at our ranch.

I am brain storming on the "smacked knuckle syndrome" ....... the Tyler grip adapter for revolvers seems logical to borrow from.

Frank505,

Thank you for the offer to watch for a barrel ...... I appreciate that!!!

For posting pictures, I did it quite a while back and just followed the instructions in the "testing" section (as I recall) and if I can do it .... anybody can ...... LOL!!!

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    Doc Highwal,

I would just add wheels to your decoys ........ it would be a shame to prematurely give up such a hunting enterprise!

But seriously, I am not considering traveling to Africa ....... and not even serious about Canada. But I think our bureaucrats are always dreaming up mischief. A bear (really not from around here) might not be too acqueiscient about moving off a bovine kill.

My interest in the .416 Taylor stems from a handsdown self defense rifle and one hell of a great cast bullet platform with a modern case.

Besides the look on my wife's face when I showed her a couple of rounds of .416 was PRICELESS!!!! LOL!!

Eutectic and abob,

This was the crux of starting this thread.

Is it 12 or is it 14 inches per turn ........ which is the best?

I sure want to obtain a RCBS 350 gr. mold ....... but I am not going to be amused by 400 grainers keyholing at 100 yds. because I am seeing the "Taylor" as much more of a 300 yd rifle than just a brush buster.

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Bub
    Can't speak from any personal experience yet on this caliber, but everyone that I've read about so far has had a 1-14 twist --- and has been happy with it. If your shooting more of the 400 grain plus range, those mostly in my opinion would be for under 200 yard shots as in Africa-- then I would go the 1-12. 400 grain and under would be for the long range flatter shooting lighter bullets. That's why I chose a 1-14 bbl, don't know if I will ever get to Africa. Just my two cents worth.

If you go for the 1-12 I hope to hear how you find it works.... Bob.

Boolit Master

Talking

I know the feeling you get when you look at certain cartridges. About 1972 I was doing wood working with a person that had a 1884 Trapdoor Springfield in 45/70 and that is what got me into reloading and casting. I bought the Lyman 457124 for it and then started loading the 30-30 shortly afterwords. Later on I bought a 458 Winchester mag thinking what the hell I already have a mould and then another friend bought one of the new Ruger #3's in 45-70 and had the Lyman 457125 mould. Yep I know the feeling you get when you look at certain cartridges, it is called a disease and I have a extreme case of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast