Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Twist Rate For .416 Taylor?

Boolit Master

Best Twist Rate For .416 Taylor?

Last year, I gathered up a Savage 110 for a switch barrel project.

My itch factor for getting this off the ground is gaining momementum.

What twist rate is best for a .416 Taylor?

The likely cast boolit would be the RCBS 350 GC ............ but I will surely use the typical J-word too when nobody is looking.

Also who has reasonably priced drop in barrels for the Savage in 416 Taylor?

A&B seems to have about dropped off the radar and I called ER Shaw and they dropped the .416's as a family due to low demand ............. I really missed the boat with them ......... their Savage pre-fits are currently $155 plus 20 for shipping!

Mcgowen seems the next likely source and they make 1-10 and 1-14 twists for .416 bore.

Regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    No takers?

Three 44s

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    14 stock, but do make a custom barrel at 16 for 350's. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Thank you Felix,

I see that stock is 14" but they also offer a 10" so that was my only other choice.

As I understand the 14 works for 300 - 400 gr. slugs ....... seems heavy enough for me and fast enough twist for me.

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    my little 416 taylor has an adams and bennet barrel, very accurate with cast at 2150 and j words at full speed. i believe it is a 14 twist, cost all of $80 few years ago. the 416 is the best use of a 7mm manglum and you can even use the brass to neck up. i love leaving them in the hills so dummies can wonder. flat shooting and powerful, drops buffalo right now and very easy to load for. the rcbs 350 mold will shoot well, something heavier does better though. working on 450 grain mold...............

In Remembrance

As my avatar nickname implies the .416 Taylor is a favorite of mine. I have used about all production made jacketed bullets up to 410 gr. Rigby bullets with excellent accuracy in my Macgowen barrel on my control feed Model 70. The RCBS 350 gr. boolit groups into "Irish" clover leafs with 5 shots, no center in the leaf! I am considering sending "Buckshot" the RCBS mold to have him hollow point it. My barrel is a 14" twist and groups anything from the 300 gr. Barnes up to a minute of elephant accuracy out past the 100 yd. stakes.Robert

Boolit Master
    Robert ;
    Have you tried the 450 grain Woodleigh? kinda interesting

In Remembrance

Frank505. Did you get these 450`s from Huntington`s in Ca.? I don`t run across Woodleighs here in Mich. I would have to order them special. And seeing as I have the rogue elephant problem under control here in the Flint area using the 400 gr. Barnes solids, I question the need for something heavier. What sort of load would you use in the Taylor with these big boys? I am thinking of having "Buckshot" do a hollow point job on an RCBS 350 gr. mold for me to keep the mice in my barn nervous and controlled in the winter. Actually it would be a real bear and large game rifle then outside of Africa.Robert

Boolit Master
    I have not tried the 450's yet, just wondering if anyone has. I will order some from Midway or Grafs or whoever has some.
    The RCBS 350gr hollow pointed would be an excellent choice for mice in the barn and even coons in the spring!!
    Have been shooting the hornady old 400 soft with John Wooters load, 73 grains of 4320, fast and accurate.

In Remembrance

frank505. Now you are talking my language! Ken Waters has some good advice in his "Pet Loads" books on the Taylor and its loads. I seem to remember 3031 and 4320 being most often used. I have a story about a dentist using a .416 Taylor on an elephant told to me by the gunsmith that did my work. The story is a bit too long for here, the elephant loses in the end of the true story. You should give the 350 gr. Speer a try for the sake of economy and less recoil, works great on chipmunks! Drop me a PM so we can share severe recoil horror stories.Robert

Boolit Master
    I had hoped to get a .416 Taylor barrel made by ER Shaw since the A&B source seems to have dried up.

But they dropped it when their .416 tooling wore out.

So that leaves McGowen as the next most reasonably priced source.

I have been contemplating laying in the RCBS .416 350 gr. mold just in case they decide that demand for it has waned just like ER Shaw experienced.

A neighbor recently bought a custom Mauser made up in .416 Taylor and he's promising to give me a go at it one of these days ....... he buys hay from me ...... maybe I need to tell him ....... no Taylor time .......

......... no hay! ........... LOL!!

I like the notion of DEAD RIGHT THERE .......... I have seen enough elk run around more than my senses care to witness after being blasted with a 300 win mag or equivalent. And my initial thought was that a .338 Win mag would be the trick. And I have fair start on .338 brass. Then our local main gunshop closed down and there sat 280 pcs. of brand new Norma brand .358 Norma cases on close out. Snagged those figuring on converting to .338.

My neighbor is liking his .458 win mag brass converted to .416 thus far.

I have this Savage 110 and would not check myself into the assylum if I ended up with a barrel for .416 and .358 ........

Never enough time nor money ......... but plenty of ideas.

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    ran across a guy in Canada who was culling elk and unhappy with small stuff. Built a 416 Taylor and uses 350 Speers, really likes the results. Much better than a 375 or smaller, he said. Hmmm, seems like real hunters like them bigger not faster or smaller. Another guy built a 416 T and went Africa, one 400 grain Swift at 2100fps dropped his buffalo. Hmmm shot placement and big hole seems to work.

In Remembrance

Dentist vs. Tembo

Okay, you forced me to tell the dentist tale. He was elephant hunting in (then) Rhodesia with a PH. and was carrying a .416 Taylor made by this gunsmith in Pa. He took a 100 foot away shot at a broadside tembo. The brain shot dropped the elephant, but during the congrats tembo got back up and charged the group! The PH had an older double in 450 cal. It misfired on the first trigger pull and the second barrel was recoil cocking, so he only had a club now. The dentist calmly dropped the elephant with a frontal brain shot. The distance from their shoes to the tip of the trunk was 10 steps (heel to toe) away! The first head shot missed the brain but most likely caused blindness and disorientation from the shock. The second shot was center brain struck causing instant drop. The bullet being used was a proto- type Barnes 400 gr. bronze solid. The first shot was a thru and thru the skull! A 458 with the 500 gr. solid won`t do that type of penatration I am told.

About the only dolling up I did to my model 70 in 416 Taylor was an additional recoil lug and had it Magna-ported by the front sight. I have a variable Leupold 4.5x scope with a heavy european #3 reticule (I think that is the #) in a QD type mount. The sights are a Williams set rear that I filed to point of aim at 100 yds. and a New England ramp front with a medium sized gold (brass) bead. The 350 gr. Speer is a accurate and potent load for most any non-dangerous critter in N. America. Barnes are very accurate in my rig, but are quite pricey. RCBS mold is very accurate with ww (water quenched) and LBT Blue lube over a bunch (?) of 3031 powder in Winch. brass. Rem. brass doesnt seem to last as long as Winch. as the shoulder splits. I tell prople that this a poor man`s Rigby.Robert

Boolit Master
    i am getting real tired of this confuser and trying to post something, and then being told i am not allowed to do so. i thought i was logged in...................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    anyway, a "famous person" with a 416 Rem and 350 Speers was "helping" on a buffalo hunt. Buffalo was wounded(as usual) by a hunter, so our hero was told to help with some more holes. He was using a rock(?) under his chest as rest!!!!!!!!! At one shot the buffalo was facing him and downhill. Later when cutting the muscles around the large intestine inside the pelvis, I felt something hard against the bask of my hand. Turned out to be a 350 Speer, nicely expanded. Pretty good expansion and weight retension, although I do not remember what it weighed. I like them for elk also.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the 350 Speer will have to be another mainstay for me!

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    I just saw this over at another forum:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=694972

An ..... A&B Blank in .416 14 twist .........

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    The above link I posted is torqing me OFF!!!

Midway keeps moving the expected date as the actual one advances ....... we never get any closer .............

....... because the "goal post" just keeps tempo with the real calender.

Three 44s

In Remembrance

I just got my RCBS 350 gr. mold back from Buckshot after he did a hollow point job and a insert plug on it so I could continue to cast solid nosed boolits. It arrived the day before Christmas - Thanks Santa! I`ll post some results of how this new/old mold works on paper when warmer weather comes back, danged arthritis doesn`t like the "cool" weather here in Mi.Robert

Boolit Master
    Oh ........ sure pour salt in the wounds ??????

Just kidding!!!

The closer I (think I'm) ........ get(ting) ........ to a .416 .............. "the farther away I am" ......

Seriously, I am wondering if I should get that RCBS mold .... maybe two ..... one for Buckshot's magic and one original ...... BEFORE they could drop it from the line up.

(After ER Shaw told me their demand had dropped so low for anything .416 ....... I've been envisioning the writing on the wall!)

Three 44s

In Remembrance

Three44. The hollow point work done by Buckshot is really art work in my humble estimation. The hollow point tool works like any other hollow point tool would work. The extra option of the plug insert in the mold base where the H.P. tool would normaly fit is held in place by a screw allowing you to cast solid boolits like it had not been H.P.ed at all. Pm me after you get set up and I might take pity on you and send you a few for trial. It`ll be around Springtime due to my arthritis not liking the "cool" weather here now in Mi.Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast