RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What to do with Group Buy alloy.

Boolit Buddy

What to do with Group Buy alloy.

Up till now I have only cast for .38 and .45 ACP plinking boolits from range scrap but have recently acquired a Lyman 358156 mould for my rifle and have a gas checked NOE 7.62X39 rifle mould on the way so now I want to step up and cast some nice hunting boolits with this group buy alloy;

Modified Wheel Weight Group Buy (2% Tin, 4% Antimony, .25% Arsenic)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=63030

So the question is how do I mix or treat this for my rifle boolits and do I water drop or not? I have some roofing lead on hand if that's what I need to mix with. The much higher velocities and terminal ballistics involved are new territory for me so any other suggestions are appreciated.

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    That depends somewhat on how fast you want to push them. What cartridge is the .35 mold intended for? Is the 7.62x39 mold going to feed a semi auto you want to cycle normaly, or a bolt gun/single shot where you could run them slower?

That alloy was specifialy designed to be quench hardened. There are a couple of threads here and at LASC with info on hardness vs. intended use as well as heat treatment/quenching regimens to reach your desired hardness. I expect you WILL want to harden it, otherwise it's kind of a waste of money!
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Buddy
    For Marlin 1894 .357 mag 1800-1900 fps and SKS 7.62X39 GB 123 grain Spire ?fps . I would like to get as much velocity as possible in the SKS without leading.

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    You're probably going to need to water drop or heat treat for the 7.62x39 if you want to get the max possible velocity.

Is the Lyman 358156 a gas check or plain base? I find referances for that number both ways. Confusing! From a rifle at those velocities, I hope it's a GC design.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert2368 View Post
    You're probably going to need to water drop or heat treat for the 7.62x39 if you want to get the max possible velocity.

Is the Lyman 358156 a gas check or plain base? I find referances for that number both ways. Confusing! From a rifle at those velocities, I hope it's a GC design.
    It is a gas checked design. Tks for the replies, I tend to just dive into things I'm interested in.