Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: M-39----Results

Boolit Master

Thumbs up M-39----Results

--Sunny day and off to the range---Shot the M-39 (7.62x54R) with some good results. Off the bench 25 yrds. or so open sites---Best performance was a Lee 185 gr. g/c and sized .312 (bore is .3105) with 18 grs. of 2400 all 5 shots touching ---- less than the size of a dime---Next was 23grs. of 4198 all rounds touching but opened up a little---one of my fav. powders AA5744 shot about an inch group (21 grs.)---A good day at the range-Mag----

Super Moderator

..............Time to go to 50 yards and see what happens. Doing 100 yards and open sights for me is a lot of work. I don't feel I do the rifle or the load much justice at that range, so I am satisfied with 3" or less if the group is a real cohesive one. The shorter 50 yard range is much easier on me.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mag_01
    --Sunny day and off to the range---Shot the M-39 (7.62x54R) with some good results. Off the bench 25 yrds. or so open sites---Best performance was a Lee 185 gr. g/c and sized .312 (bore is .3105) with 18 grs. of 2400 all 5 shots touching ---- less than the size of a dime---Next was 23grs. of 4198 all rounds touching but opened up a little---one of my fav. powders AA5744 shot about an inch group (21 grs.)---A good day at the range-Mag----
    My M39 loves the Lee 185 gr bullet. I size 'em .312", use Hornady GC and lube with Javelina. Over 24 gr 5744 w/o filler or 28.5 gr 4895 w/dacron filler they run 1825 fps and shoot sub 2 MOA at 100 yards. That's with the issue sights also. Both loads do a tudge better in my Russian sniper with the scope. Fun rifles and good cast bullet shooters.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson
    My M39 loves the Lee 185 gr bullet. I size 'em .312", use Hornady GC and lube with Javelina. Over 24 gr 5744 w/o filler or 28.5 gr 4895 w/dacron filler they run 1825 fps and shoot sub 2 MOA at 100 yards. That's with the issue sights also. Both loads do a tudge better in my Russian sniper with the scope. Fun rifles and good cast bullet shooters.

Larry Gibson

Here's a couple pictures of a 100 yard group with 24/5744. The group is right at 1.42".

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-15-2007 at 11:20 PM.