Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alloying pure lead

Boolit Mold

great alloy mix

Good day Hedgehog,
    I live east of you, and have had the same problem here getting good alloys to mix with pure lead. I found a great place to get it, it is call #7 Babbit, and I found it @ Acklands Graingers. The make up of the babbit is Pb-75.5%, Sb-15%, Sn-9.5%.
    This stuff is great because a little goes a long way. I use this with WW, and oven heat treat for all my boolits. Hope this helps.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    im considering pure antimony shot from rotometals. from what iv read here it will melt in with regular pot temperature given some time.

anyone care to comment. the reasoning is the pure antimony will be much cheaper to ship.
    Don't go that route. Get a hard alloy instead. Melting pure antimony is tougher than an alloy & you do not need much antimony to harden pure lead.
    For your revolvers, size to the cyl. mouth dia not the groove dia. Some rev. have smaller chamber mouths than groove dia & this will cause leading & a reduction in accuracy. I just opened up the mouths on one of my RBH from 0.450" to 0.4515". Accuracy was almsot twice as good & it looks like less accuracy too. My bullets are cast from 50/50 lead & clip on ww, about 10BHN. I also like 20-1 lead tin mix. You could mix pure lead 60/40 w/ lino for a good gen purpose alloy. Water drop the 9mm for a bit harder bullet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12