Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: New Toy

Boolit Buddy

New Toy

Found a Savage 340 in 30-30 at a gun show today. Excellent condition and only $100, but it has no sights, i.e. the front sight is gone. It is tapped in several places on the side of the receiver for some kind of side scope mount. Does anybody know where to look for a replacement scope mount? Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

It should be a shooter, and at that price you can't go wrong. A few years ago while looking on E-bay for a spare mag I saw several scope mounts. I also bought a redfield peep for under 20$ for mine. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Super Moderator

................I know that GPC/Numrich had Savage sidemounts for the 340 series rifles for years. Just went and checked:

Category: Savage
    Model: 340
    Item #540380 - 1'' Scope Mounts, Savage 340 - Fully Finished & Blue, Includes Rings & Mount $19.95

Sportsmans Guide has the savage magazines for $39, but I don't know how hard they are to find.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like a nice rifle. I have had luck with an outfit in Florida that specializes in Savage parts. The Small Arms Shop, in Inverness, Florida. Their site is www.savageparts.com. They seem to have a lot of stuff for the various models of the 340's. Prices seem decent. Good Luck.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Sportsmans Guide has the savage magazines for $39, but I don't know how hard they are to find any cheaper.

A forum member, Jim (?) Wisner, has the machinery to make 340 magazines, PM him.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the responses. I don't need a magazine right now, but I'll hang on to the references. I ordered a scope mount and scope from Midway (bless the C&R discount). My stepson had one of these for his first centerfire rifle and I gave his a scope for it way back when, seems that there isn't much room for too big a bell with those sidemounts if I remember correctly. Oh well, a 30-30 isn't a long range cartridge anyway, I just ordered a 2.5 fixed power, should be small enough.

You will like that rifle. I bought one a few years back in a pawn shop for $80.00. I bought a Lyman sight off Ebay for $15.00. The rifle shoots great. I did fine the chamber a hair out of round and have to FL size my brass. The slight goose egg is mid-chamber, so it still shoots fine.