RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: H4198 and IMR4198

Boolit Bub

Question H4198 and IMR4198

Is there any critical difference between H 4198 and IMR 4198? My manuels seem to list the same charges for the calibers I load. I load .444 marlin, .45-70, .223 Remington and .22 hornet with 4198. Any ideas?
    Tom

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago IMR4198 was THE powder for the 222 Remington made by Dupont. Hodgdon 4198 was made in Scotland for a time ( I think ). They where very close in burning rate, probably 1/2 a grain plus or minus. No big deal- Different batches of powder vary just a little, so max charges should be reworked each time you start a new lot number or Hod to IMR. Hodgdon now has rights to IMR powder and I THINK- H4198 has been dropped. I still have a one pound can marked $3.95 (1972) --Sigh --

sometime recently, I just became aware of it this last year. H-4198 went to a shorter cut stick for easier measuring. I used some through my Culver measure a month ago in some light boolit loads. Still isn't the most consistent measure but way better than the constant stick cutting of the old IMR-4198. Picked up some RX7 to try as it's small stick. Never seam to stop switching stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't remember which companies but years ago one either Hogdon or IMR bought up a lot of surplus 4198 and sold it under their name. When it ran out they desided to keep it going because of popularity and started marketing a duplicated powder or at least that's the way I heard it so you can use either data and work up as normal.
    Aim small, miss small!

There is a very subtle difference between them and if you visit the Hodgdon site and view the MSDS on their powders it shows that both 4198's are made by ADI in AU but are slightly different. Interestingly enough the MSDS shows that both 4227's are EXACTLY the same powder. The days of IMR stick powders are numbered.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the information. One thing that concerned me was the coating Hodgdon added to make it one of their extreem powders. I'm going to Bass Pro this week and will look for the IMR4198. If that's sold out, I'll try H4198. I'll still watch my reloads closely. On most of my guns, I have found light or mid range loads are much more accurate. My .223 likes loads a little hotter. Thanks again.
    Tom

Boolit Grand Master
    "Interestingly enough the MSDS shows that both 4227's are EXACTLY the same powder."

Ah Ha! I knew it! I thought the "switch" from H4227 to IMR4227 was BS as claimed by Hodgdon......and it was. They just graphited H4227 a bit and sell it as "IMR" 4227.

Actually, Jeff, I think you confirmed that for me awhile back.....the graphiting, that is. Such info made my suspicion that IMR 4227 was really "old" Extreme H4227 plausible, and it was.