Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: SMLE---Range test

Boolit Master

Thumbs up SMLE---Range test

---Had a chance to test some loads at range today with SMLE----Used a fat 30 sized to .3155 gas checked--Tried 3 loads with AA5744----24---25 and 26grs. behind a 190gr. boolit---best load was 26grs. which produced a clover leaf (5) rounds at 25 yrds off the bench open sites.-----Also tried 2400 at 18grs.---was pretty good but no clover leaf... quite happy with results over all. Next test at range will be with a Marlin 30-30 scoped off bench. Again using AA5744---160gr. gas checked with 21---21.5 and 22grs.

Quote Originally Posted by mag_01
    ---Had a chance to test some loads at range today with SMLE----Used a fat 30 sized to .3155 gas checked--Tried 3 loads with AA5744----24---25 and 26grs. behind a 190gr. boolit---best load was 26grs. which produced a clover leaf (5) rounds at 25 yrds off the bench open sites.-----Also tried 2400 at 18grs.---was pretty good but no clover leaf... quite happy with results over all. Next test at range will be with a Marlin 30-30 scoped off bench. Again using AA5744---160gr. gas checked with 21---21.5 and 22grs.
    Nice work. I have a No4 Mk2 that is particularly fond of .312 sized .175gr FN WW bullets over 17gr of H4227. 10 shots at 100m regularly under 2 inches when I do my bit.

Do you use a Lee collet die for sizing? My No4. has a BIG chamber is very fussy about neck tension so I anneal every 4-5 loadings.

Jeff

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Smle

---I more or less just neck size---I back die out about 25 ths.---and stuff about the largest boolit I can chamber to fill the throat---I did try somthing new cleaned bore with bench rest 9---J B bore paste and J B bore bright as best I could---seems like you can never get them clean enough----I also removed head space by welding bolt and refitting it to rifle---(had 17 ths.---not good--case seperation) about 6 ths. should be max. Now when I close bolt that last bit off travel closes down on case head. Enjoy these old battle rifles----Mag