RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Something has happened here.

Boolit Master

Something has happened here.

A few years back I was looking for information related to casting bullets. I had looked over this forum many times and there seemed to be a friendly bunch of people. They all seemed more then willing to answer most any question that someone might present. Consequently I joined knowing full well that I would not be embarrassed by anyone that was trying to show how superior they were in casting, or any other part of gunning.
    And I was right. I was treated well and help came from 15 direction any time I had a problem. And I am grateful for that.
    However, over the last few months the forum has gone from a place where anyone could get friendly advice to a forum where, if I was just starting out, I would avoid like the plague. Have you read some of the longest threads lately? They look like battlegrounds!
    One denigrates new people for asking a question that a 100 people have already asked. Another is a serious critique of how well someone spells, or punctuates their questions or answers. And neither, when read by a Newbie would encourage them to join in. Or have much to do with us. And then you have a few other threads where people are calling each other names and having pitched battles over innocuous nonsense that few care about anyway.
    This is not only driving away some of the older, knowledgeable guys. It is preventing new people from venturing in.
    Now if you think I'm wrong in wanting the old forum back, where a newbie can't wait to join and ask questions, then feel free to tell me off. (You wont be the first, although I'll have to read it for free now.)
    But if you even slightly suspect I might possibly be correct, try your best to keep the forum a place where the people that are uneducated about casting bullets will feel comfortable asking whatever it is they need to know.
    In short, why don't we all start being nicer and a bit more tolerant of each other. It'd be a lot more pleasant.

Qajaq59
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

I agree.
    I have had to bite my tongue, actually fingers, to keep from commenting adversely about the asked for the umteenth time question. "OH NO, not another question "how do I tell zinK weel wates from led wuns?'" (Intentional mispelling)
    However, before I joined, and before I started posting, I read through the most of the stickies.
    I also read through the comments that have already been posted BEFORE I post my own brilliant answer, so I don't repeat an answer, or worse give an wrong answer, or a poor or unclear answer.
    I also don't care for the "Yup, that's what I do" non-answers/comments.
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

I'm a noobie to THIS Forum, but not a noobie to the web. I've had nothing but helpful advice from this site, it has helped me come up to speed with casting and i look forward to reading it everyday. I have seen a couple threads that 'aren't perfect', but from my perspective they are easy to ignore and easy to chalk up to human nature. After all, we are all Humans (except for Carpetman )

Anyway, just a noobie's perspective.

AJ

+1 When I first started lurking around I came to like this site because of the good ol boy style and attitude. It really frustrates me when I see people trolling and/or being nit picky. I really don't feel like I have the amount of seniority to tell it like it is at times when I see these things, but if we were all on my porch there would be alot more Big Freak'n Deals and Shut the Heck Ups directed to these self glorified know it alls (read trolls) who ruin the good ol boy equilibrium on this site.

Since this boy was suckling on his momma's breast, he's been given everything but discipline. And now his idea of courage and manhood is to get together with a bunch of punk friends and ride around irritating folks...too good natured to put a stop to it.
    From the movie Second Hand Lion

Now aint that the dang truth!
    Last edited by OutHuntn84; 10-14-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Sensoring

Frosted Boolits

I also read through the comments that have already been posted BEFORE I post my own brilliant answer, so I don't repeat an answer, or worse give an wrong answer, or a poor or unclear answer.
    I also don't care for the "Yup, that's what I do" non-answers/comments.
    Yup, that's what I do.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

In Remebrance

THis place has grown from less than 50 to over 11K in 4 years. Things are going to change and we've always had squabbles. Maybe you just missed them. Same for thread drift, we've always had that so don't be surprised if a thread on boolit nose design drifts to swimming pools and then to punctuation. It's just the way we do things.

As for my recent post about the same question time after time- How do you think many of our sections got here in the first place? That's how "Classics and Stickies", "Boolit Lube". "Lead and Lead Alloys", "Casting Equipment", "Paper Patching", "Favorite Loads", etc. all came to be. People kept asking questions over and over and someone eventually said, "Hey! Could we get a section for.....?". So don;t take it as rudeness, it's just the way these things evolve.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    +1 When I first started lurking around I came to like this site because of the good ol boy style and attitude. It really frustrates me when I see people trolling and/or being nit picky. I really don't feel like I have the amount of seniority to tell it like it is at times when I see these things, but if we were all on my porch there would be alot more Big Freak'n Deals and Shut the Heck Ups directed to these self glorified know it alls (read trolls) who ruin the good ol boy equilibrium on this site.

Since this boy was suckling on his momma's breast,he's been given everything but discipline. And now his idea of courage and manhood is to get together with a bunch of punk friends and ride around irritating folks...too good natured to put a stop to it.
    From the movie Second Hand Lion

Note: Language edited!

Now aint that the dang truth!
    And you'll note the recent post from the site owner requesting people watch their language. You need to be aware of that and that your post contains language that's never been suitable for this site.
    Last edited by garandsrus; 10-15-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: quoted language cleaned up

My apologies to any abreviations or quotes that offended you Bret. I will try and better sensor myself in the future. I have edited my previous post to more PG terms hope it is more sutible for this site, if not please pm me and let me know.

Boolit Master
    For 10 years I've been on more forums than I can remember and they all have the same issues. There are plenty of good folks here, we just need an occasional reminder. It's really not a big deal as long as the majority cares enough to nip things in the bud.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Bub
    "In short, why don't we all start being nicer and a bit more tolerant of each other. It'd be a lot more pleasant."

I couldn't agree more, there is enough nastiness in the world right now. BTW, The above quote sounds like something coming out of the State Dept. lately.

Jocko

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    My apologies to any abreviations or quotes that offended you Bret. I will try and better sensor myself in the future. I have edited my previous post to more PG terms hope it is more sutible for this site, if not please pm me and let me know.
    Thanks. It's not that I'm offended, it's that we ALL have to keep in mind it's not just "us guys" here. Believe me, there are times I would like to use much cruder terms than I do, but propriety demands a certain discipline in that line.

BTW smart guy, it's "censoring". Have a nice day!

I have to say for myself I lurked around here for a couple months before joining. I found the online guide the first couple days and downloaded that for reading. After going through it I found I had more questions then when I started so I started reading the stickies and postings on the site. I have yet to cast anything (have to wait for spring now) but I have found the wealth of information available here to be immense. I'm actually rather glad I have to wait because reading and re-reading postings on subjects gives me greater understandings of the different steps and procedures.

I for one ignore the flame wars because you will find them anywhere o the net and to get involved gets me away from what I want, EG information on casting.

When I first thought about it I figured you poured some bullets and loaded them like jacketed. I had NO idea the extra steps involved and the idea of customizing a round for a specific gun. Now I have so much stuff I want to try when I get a chance.
    Between midnight and dawn, when sleep will not come and all the old wounds begin to ache, I often have a nightmare vision of a future world in which there are billions of people, all numbered and registered, with not a gleam of genius anywhere, not an original mind, a rich personality, on the whole packed globe. -John Boynton Priestley

Boolit Master

I began posting here on 3-21-2005, and this site is my Home Page....
    (I wonder if there is a sequence of when people joined-- #1, #2, etc.)…

I started casting some time before that, but I really don’t remember how many years before that “sign on” date. Maybe only a few before—I consider myself still an apprentice, but I sure know a heck of a lot more since I visit this site every morning when I start my computer (0430 hours) and it is the last site I look at when the day ends for me (2200 hours)…

I have never received a snide comment on any thread I started or participated in to the best of my recollection! And I guarantee that I have asked questions that have been asked before…

I always attempt to use the “Search” feature, but I simply don’t get results, many of the times, that I am looking to find. NOTE: This is on ALL sites that I visit and try to use that feature. I just can not fine tune it to pick the subject I am looking for—my lack of computer savvy is most likely the cause…

I think this site can be compared to a person that has been on a specific job/profession for a long time and they know there duties to the point that they become mundane. I know a hobby is different than a job, but the same thing might apply….

I have had the “pleasure” of training new people where I work and at times, I can become quite “snappy” with my training methods. I try at all efforts to avoid this, but sometimes it just happens. I forget that I had to learn also. Usually a very sincere apology gets me out of the soup, and I think the trainee is O.K. with that. Regardless, I see some of my training go into effect with the new ‘cruit, and it means the task got accomplished. Some even come back and ask questions later when they get the same title that I have, but with less experience…

If someone is simply being vicious, well that can’t be tolerated and I think the veteran members here might take a view and post some disdain—I think that would be the thing to do. If arguments continue or perpetuate, the moderator should step in…

I may be missing some of the posts that this thread is directed at, so some of my comments might not be relevant to the situations mentioned…

Regardless, I “ain’t” going anywhere else—the trouble-makers generally are self-eliminating—or the proper authorities do the eliminating…

Just my thoughts…

BCB

Boolit Master

I've been here for a bit and very much enjoy exchanging ideas and learning from you more experienced casters. I think we need to quit trying to minimize others sarcasm and try to increase our own sense of humor and tolerance. After all this is supposed to be "fun" and if it gets too serious it becomes too much like "work". Some of us enjoy sharp exchanges of opinion spiced well and served hot.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    Since we are taking offense here, this thread offends me.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

I have yet to see a single example of the kind of pie-fights you're talking about anywhere on this forum, so I guess I need to spend a little more time here. And report them. Anyone acting inappropriate;ly ought to be spoken to. Anyone repeatedly causing a problem ought to be banned.

Agree. This is actually one of the MOST friendly websites I frequent. Also one of the most knowledgeable, if only in the narrow area of lead bullet-making.

The "same question" issue is a lot like when your child endlessly repeats "Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad." while you are engaged in some other task. Sooner or later, you get a little tired of it. Same here.

Angry Well I'm offended...

Quote Originally Posted by Leftoverdj View Post
    Since we are taking offense here, this thread offends me.
    ...by people who are always offended!

Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Buddy

Bridgeton, RI ( the conservative corner of the libtard state)
    I have found myself buried in this site a lot more often than I ought to be!!
    So far everyone I have dealt with or asked questions have been great. I know the redundancy can be a real pain to some, myself included. However, I am guilty of things that irritate me so I won't throw rocks at that glass house. I find it better to help out if I can, or just move on.
    On another forum I belong to, we had a long time member who was no joking the best wealth of knowlage around. A good portion of the site dealt with legal stuff, and this gentleman is a premier firearms attorney. This gentleman would just about kill people with humiliation over not searching archives, spelling and everything else that annoys us all. The harrassment finally got to everyone, and he is now banned.
    Sorry for my misguided most likely misspelled rant, my spellcheck is off. I just feel that if you can help do, if you can't or just am tired of answering the same question over and over again, keep it to yourself. No need to get personal.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1/20/13

Boolit Buddy

Bridgeton, RI ( the conservative corner of the libtard state)
    Quote Originally Posted by markinalpine View Post
    ...by people who are always offended!

Mark
    +1!
    that was the topic of descussion at work today!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1/20/13

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast