MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: carcano & cruise missile

Super Moderator

[QUOTE=bkbville;691802]Dromia - I've sort of been down this road.

When I try to slug this rifle the progressive twist takes it's toll on the engraving - the changing pitch removing the engraving - so by the time I get the slug out the other end I have no indication of the actual groove side.

QUOTE]

..............JUst drive a slug part way into the breech. Enough to guarantee engraving. Then drive one into the muzzle.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    I gave 9.0 and 11.0 gn of Unique a try - figuring if going faster wasn't helping I'd try slower.

A couple of the 11.0 gn were not stable, but most were.

All (7) of the 9.0 gn Unique were stable and even grouped reasonably well. These chrono'ed at 1235 fps. I'll work up more of these 9.0 gn and check them out to 100yds, then work up a load in that range.

I'll try and slug it tonight.

Boolit Master
    Shoot my 6.5 Jap with the missle. I used 4759 and Universal Clays 14g and 9.2 respectively.The UC had flyers (goood at 7.5 G) The 4759 shot well The rifle has a 2.5 power scope. It always shot "minute of Deer" I think 47 59 is the powder for me 13 to 15grain. Velocity with 14 g out of a 16 in barrel is estabmated to be 1550 fps

Boolit Master

Shot my Carcano yesterday with the Cruise Missile. Tried 18 and 20gr of 4759. The 18 gr load had 2 out of 6 hit the target sideways and all holes were oval. 20gr had 4 of 6 hit sideways, the other 2 went away and this was on a 4'X4' backboard. Obviously more powder is the wrong way.
    I'll have to try Shooter6br's load and see what happens. 4759 has become my go to cast boolit powder and I was was really bummed out by the first results. The up side is that the fixed sights seemed dead on POA at a 100yd for the boolits that went through semi-straight.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Per Buckshot's recommendation I slugged the Vetterli Carcano muzzle and breech-end:

Muzzle: .265-.266
    Lead: .269-.270

I also passed a slightly harder slug through the length at .268; more of the engraving remained than in my previous attempts.

Boz330 - OK - thought I was the only one seeing this.

Moderator Emeritus
    Try sizing to .270", remember to only change one thing at a time because if you get success you won't know what to attribute it to.

Good luck.

I've just got a really nice 91/28 in and was looking forward to playing with it but it seems I have a customer for it already.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Bub
    bkbville,

Thanks for the report on the light Unique loads. I was having the same troubles with my 91/38 Cav. Carbine and 2400, but now I have something else to try.

If I can get repeatable 2" groups at 50 yards, I'll be happy. I get decent results with the jacketed 160gr Hornadys, but the cost makes plinking with the Carcanos less fun than they could be.

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Try sizing to .270", remember to only change one thing at a time because if you get success you won't know what to attribute it to.

Good luck.

I've just got a really nice 91/28 in and was looking forward to playing with it but it seems I have a customer for it already.
    Looking forward to seeing that really nice 91/28.

Closey

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=dromia;697248]Try sizing to .270", remember to only change one thing at a time because if you get success you won't know what to attribute it to.
    QUOTE]

Dromia - do mean size them even if they drop .270?

Moderator Emeritus
    If thats what they are dropping leave them at that.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

OK I took the Carcano out yesterday again. Tried 13gr of 4759 and 12gr of 2400. The gun is really trying to group with these loads but the boolits are still unstable. The powder charge is REALLY small, maybe 1/4 case density. I hate to go lighter but slower seems to be the sweet spot. Does anybody see any problems with going lighter. My other thought is maybe trying 5744 for more case density but I don't have a clue where to start. Any thoughts?????? The Carcano action while being bad mouthed as being weak has shown itself to be pretty strong, but I don't want to be the test case.

Bob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    OK I took the Carcano out yesterday again. Tried 13gr of 4759 and 12gr of 2400. The gun is really trying to group with these loads but the boolits are still unstable.That doesn't make sense The powder charge is REALLY small, maybe 1/4 case density. I hate to go lighter but slower seems to be the sweet spot. Does anybody see any problems with going lighter. My other thought is maybe trying 5744 for more case density but I don't have a clue where to start. Any thoughts?????? The Carcano action while being bad mouthed as being weak has shown itself to be pretty strong, but I don't want to be the test case.

Bob
    Bob,

That's like saying "I got a couple good punches in on Mohammad Ali but he still knocked me out". I guess there are degrees of unstableness huh?

Joe

Boolit Master

Joe, I agree but the holes are oval and grouping in the 3 to 5 inch area at a 100yds. At 16gr 4759 some of them are hitting sideways.

Bob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Joe, I agree but the holes are oval and grouping in the 3 to 5 inch area at a 100yds. At 16gr 4759 some of them are hitting sideways.

Bob
    Bob,

Try some Unique.

Joe

Boolit Master

Drop the powder charge a couple of grains and after you charge the case fill the remainder with some dacron. This will give you a consistent and even burn of the powder and also increase the pressure some with the added weight.

I was having problems with less than full cases of powder when loading for my Garand. Larry Gibson gave me some great advise regarding dacron tufts and such and my results are excellent.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    Drop the powder charge a couple of grains and after you charge the case fill the remainder with some dacron. This will give you a consistent and even burn of the powder and also increase the pressure some with the added weight.

I was having problems with less than full cases of powder when loading for my Garand. Larry Gibson gave me some great advise regarding dacron tufts and such and my results are excellent.
    Crash,

Well I'm glad you got help with your loads and they are shooting better. Since 45 2.1 taught me "the technique" my Dacron is gathering quite an accumulation of dust in the shop. I don't use it anymore.

Joe

I don't know if this will translate over to the heavier Cruise Missile, but I've gotten excellent results so far with 14 gr IMR 4227 and the Kurtz bullet.

I think my cruise missile mold is on the way, so I'll try same load with it for starters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Crash,

Well I'm glad you got help with your loads and they are shooting better. Since 45 2.1 taught me "the technique" my Dacron is gathering quite an accumulation of dust in the shop. I don't use it anymore.

Joe
    So Joe, share the secret of the technique!!!!!
    I tried 8gr of Unique and that was in the same area or slightly larger as the 4759 and 2400 as far as group size and the holes were oval as well. I'm thinking that if the groups are in the 3 MOA area with wallowing boolits this gun could shine with the right powder combination.
    I have used Dacron in the past and never had a problem but having heard of potential problems, I am more than a little leery. I have also used Kapok as a filler but the accuracy always seemed to suffer.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I had the Vetterli out again today and shot about a 3" group @50y of 9 shots; the 10th was about 4"-5" higher and *sideways* - all through a chrono and that didn't show anything odd any shot.

(BTW: 1251fps avg for 9.4gn Unique)

I'm frustrated with the CM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bkbville View Post
    I had the Vetterli out again today and shot about a 3" group @50y of 9 shots; the 10th was about 4"-5" higher and *sideways* - all through a chrono and that didn't show anything odd any shot.

(BTW: 1251fps avg for 9.4gn Unique)

I'm frustrated with the CM.
    Join the club!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast