Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Cleaning + Laundry Bag = Frugal Good Idea?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942
    There's 5 things you don't loan:

1. Your wife
    2. Your toothbrush
    3. Your guns
    4. Your bullet molds
    5. Your money

unfortunately I learn this stuff the hardway, already been through the gun loan thing, got it back but it was not quite in the same condition as loaned.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Dodd
    I wasn't too keen on spending money on a tumbler either, so I built my own.

my dad made one from a 1/4HP gear head motor, rock polisher style, works great, little noisy, bout 90 decibel in the basement while its running.

Matthew N. Dodd's Tumbler should be in our projects area for sure !
    Gun CONTROL Means Puttin Them BOOLITS Where I Want 'Em !

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53
    Washing brass in a washing machine is a bad and potentially expensive idea. In a former life, I repaired automatic laundry equipment. Believe me, a BAD idea.

Dale53

This is why there are Laundromats.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wills
    This is why there are Laundromats.

apartment laundry facilities are great too I can see doing 3k .45 acp cases at once

Quote Originally Posted by lefty_red
    ... I put them in a mesh laundry bag and put them on the top rack of the dishwasher.

Jerry

Don't primers have lead acetate in them?
    I eat off the things that go in my dishwasher, and so do my children. Same idea with the washing machine.

I consider the dust and dirt from cleaning cases some of the most hazardous stuff around. I clean my hands after I load and I sure don't let the stuff get near my kids.

Boolit Grand Master

slughammer;
    >>>I consider the dust and dirt from cleaning cases some of the most hazardous stuff around. I clean my hands after I load and I sure don't let the stuff get near my kids.<<<

I agree wholeheartedly and I feel the same way about others kids, so, no apartment or laundromat cleaning of cases for me in a washing machine or dish washer.

Not to be "preachy" but we are all in this together, fellows and gals (the world) and we certainly do NOT need to add to others problems...

Dale53

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53
    Washing brass in a washing machine is a bad and potentially expensive idea. In a former life, I repaired automatic laundry equipment. Believe me, a BAD idea.

Dale53
    I found that out the hard way, having to have the washer's pump replaced. I got a super deal on 7.62 brass that apparently was picked up on the southern Arizona gunnery range along with generous amounts of sand. The first batch came out clean, the second load the pillow case opened up dumping the sand in the washer's inards. I had to take a razzing from the repaiman saying my dilema was funnier than all the cat/child/washer stories he heard about.

Cast Boolits Owner

Seperate sand first?

I think your idea is a good one if SWMBO does not mind. As a suggestion, use the media seperator to tumble the sand from the brass before you place it in the washer which should prevent a visit from the repairman again.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek
    I found that out the hard way, having to have the washer's pump replaced. I got a super deal on 7.62 brass that apparently was picked up on the southern Arizona gunnery range along with generous amounts of sand. The first batch came out clean, the second load the pillow case opened up dumping the sand in the washer's inards. I had to take a razzing from the repaiman saying my dilema was funnier than all the cat/child/washer stories he heard about.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Guys, that's why they call it a DISH MASHER, it washed the junk off...

Jerry
    Pigrim, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear....

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such....

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2
    Better to just use the old 50/50 water/vinegar soak and avoid the potential marital strife.

That's what I use, along with a "dash" of dish soap for extra flavor....

FWIW,

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Dodd
    I like it!

I have an old sewing machine motor along with it's foot pedal rheostat that I've been thinking of building some kind of rotating tumbler with. Maybe a vibratory setup would be better/easier.....

Hmmmm....

Dennis

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin
    I like it!

I have an old sewing machine motor along with it's foot pedal rheostat that I've been thinking of building some kind of rotating tumbler with. Maybe a vibratory setup would be better/easier.....

Hmmmm....

Dennis
    I used a foot pedal rheostat when I electrified my RCBS case trimmer. I hooked a 1/3 HP electric motor to the trimmer and switch it on/off by foot thru the rheostat. Overkill? Mebe but I had it. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    I've been reloading for 39 years now and have never had any kind of case tumbler or cleaner. I just treat my brass nice, wipe it off good, and use it. I haven't harmed any guns, brass, dies, or anything else that I know of by not polishing my brass. I have occasionally thought of some sort of tumbler but have been too frugal (cheap?) to buy one so far. Some day if my bank account looks flush enough I may break down and get one from Midway or someone economical. They really aren't that expensive.

Boolit Master
    In my pre tumbler days I washed them in a 5 gal bucket with little spot free dish soap. Then left them in a pan on my dash board a wile of on a very low heat in the oven.
    But then I got one from midway for $40.00. I reuse the media by washing it and adding 3M polishing compound when dry. ....Buck
    Last edited by buck1; 05-05-2006 at 06:27 PM.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by woody1
    I used a foot pedal rheostat when I electrified my RCBS case trimmer. I hooked a 1/3 HP electric motor to the trimmer and switch it on/off by foot thru the rheostat. Overkill? Mebe but I had it. Regards, Woody
    Hey, nothing like going first class!

Dennis

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by no_1
    I think your idea is a good one if SWMBO does not mind. As a suggestion, use the media seperator to tumble the sand from the brass before you place it in the washer which should prevent a visit from the repairman again.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Robert
    Robert, you're absolutely correct. I did this in the 70's in the Thumblers Tumbler era and to best of my knowledge there wern't any brass sifters on the market yet. The sand was also packed in damp and hard and an overnight tumbling wouldn't get it out of the inside of the cartridge of all cases.

I started out real proud of myself with the deal we got on the brass. The gunshow vendor had a huge ice scoop and if I remember correctly it was like two-bits a scoop. The deal went sour real quick after paying I think around $90 for the washer's repair and even worse I had to catch up the laundry, the now x refused.

Boolit Grand Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Dodd View Post

Great post!! Leave it up to the Clever folks. Necessity Is the Mother ov Invention.
    Well Done!!

Shiloh

Boolit Grand Master

Dishwasher=P.O'd Bride

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Better to just use the old 50/50 water/vinegar soak and avoid the potential marital strife.
    Did the Dishwasher method with a mesh parts bag. All you fellows know what the LOOK is. Thats exactly what I got from the bride. I was told to cease and desist forthwith. "Keep your gun stuff where it belongs!!"

Shiloh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast