Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Another Wazzit?

Another Wazzit?

Mentioned before I frequent a neighborhood recycler looking for stuff and once in a great while, something shows up they let me have for 25¢ #

This time the owner was there and sold me 165# for lil over $7 (some reason, 5¢ per #) Said he paid 1¢ #

There were 2 ingots apprx 8" dia almost 2 7/8" thick. One was 55# and the other I haven't weighed that shows someone used a torch to melt some away.
    in that it had some thinner edged for me to chiesel off, I did so and it reacted like normal alloy until it just about gives way and it fractures and breaks showing sand like crystaline structure ~ like a fine grade of sand. Not really having a lot of 'chips' to work with, I melted what I had and poured in a RCBS 480Ruger mould for a 400gr KSWC. I had enuff to pour 2 boolits. They wgt 384gr instead of the 408gr of my WW alloy. It melts a lil before 400° and casts a real purdy shiny silver. The mould was cold and the edges weren't filled out which will account for some difference in wgt ~ is there anything in all this that might shine a light on what it may be? Did a hardness test @ BHN 21

ON EDIT: Looks like they cast .001" larger than my WW alloy.
    Last edited by odoh; 10-03-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Late breaking info

In Remembrance
    63/37 solder melts at 361 degrees. It is eutectic, so there is no slush stage.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Linotype.....99.9999% sure The Sand like structure and crystaline look gives it away

Smile

I think lino's supposed to melt right about 475°F, though.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I think lino's supposed to melt right about 475°F, though.
    464 F actually. Yes, I'm picking nits.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know just how accurate my (new) mechanical thermometer is ~ non-logo recently purchased from roto metals and at the point of reading there was just a dime size molt to stick it in. Room to error on getting right at the edge of the melting point. To wit: I wouldn't bet the homestead over its accuracy. Yes, there was no slush/mush stage. Once I get enuff of smaller pieces, I can probably get better confidence by letting it cool down w/the thermometer inplace and then restart and take a reading at the point of melt.