RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Crooked tang sight???

Boolit Buddy
    Living in the woods, foothills of the Appalachians.

Crooked tang sight???

I purchased a Marbles (improved) tang sight for my Rossi 1892. Mounted it today. Looks good, everything including screws fit fine. Put the 'tower' on the base (as they are separate for the improved version...) and the tower is leaning to the left like the tower of Piza. Not dramatically, but when you look through the aperture you can tell... you are looking ACROSS, like from the rear left corner of the receiver to the front sight. to line it up, i have to move the windage all the way to the right. I havent shot it yet to check zero, but it just isnt right whether it shoots straight or not.

Do I shim it??? ...and if so how? Does ANYONE practice QC anymore for goodness sake? It is either the sight base is faulty, or my tang is crooked... which is more likely???

Boolit Buddy
    Call Marble Arms. I have 2 of the improved versions and 2 of the originals and they all work great. Surely they will make it right.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

It could also be the holes are off centered on the tang. I've seen that more than once and it only takes a minute amount to make them lean.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by j23 View Post
    Looks good, everything including screws fit fine. Put the 'tower' on the base (as they are separate for the improved version...) and the tower is leaning to the left like the tower of Piza.
    Is that sight built in such a way that the base could be reversed, and the tower placed on it with no problem?

If that was done, and the sight still leaned left, it would prove that the inconsistency is in the tang of the rifle.

It's not uncommon to shim one side of a tang sight base. You can use paper, thin plastic, or metal.
    Pop can aluminum is about 5 thousandths thick...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Does ANYONE practice QC anymore for goodness sake?
    In my experience of late I'd have to say NO!!!
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If it's a problem with the sight then Marbles will make it good. I have four of the tang sights and while at a CAS shoot this past Sat. a fellow shooter said your sight is loose. I noticed that the windage knob was gone off the sight. It is held on with a set screw to the shaft. I called Marbles and they sent one to me at no charge.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

This is a problem that apparently isn't that unusual...

I have a stash of short-base tang sites (for Winchesters with tang safeties) that I've been selling, and I just had one returned for just this problem. Seems the radius on the sight base is cut off-center, and the result is a sight base that's thicker in relation to the mounting holes on one side. My particular specimen is off-kilter by .016"...

I wasn't aware of this until the buyer pointed it out to me. But if you look at the bottom pic, you can see how the channel radius is off center... http://tinyurl.com/y9smvps

The preferred way of dealing with this is not shimming, but removing material from the high side. (Pay attention, also, to how the screw fits the bottom of the screw hole, as the hole may also need to be trued on its bottom as fitment is made.)