Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Lead Ingots For Sale - Buyer's Choice

Vendor Sponsor

Lead Hardness Tests

Hello,

I've received questions in regard to tests done in regard to my Range Lead.

Various people have tested my range lead. The majority arrived at figures ranging from around 11 BHN to 15BHN. One person arrived at 12.5BHN using a Cabine Tree tester. I am a newbie, but back in Nov. 2009, I bought a Cabine Tree tester. And I too arrived at 12.5BHN. Bullshop tests came in at 15BHN.

*** Note added 4/13/10 in regard to the 15BHN reading; more tests were done by Bullshop from lead reclaimed from the same range, but smelted at different times. I provided 2 boxes of lead smelted in December 2009 (so weather temp was probably in high 40's, to mid-50's). And I provided 2 boxes of lead smelted 4/5/10 where the temp was probably in the 60's.

quote: " Results: Three samples from each box as follows
    box # 1 dated 12/10 12.5, 12, 12.5
    box # 2 dated 12/10 13, 12.5, 13.5
    box # 3 dated 4/5/10 11.5, 11.5, 10
    box # 4 dated 4/5/10 10, 10, 10

So it looks like there was at least some age hardening there. I guess the mystery is why was the first box so much harder at BHN-15? If the ingots were thinner and the air temp at the time of casting cooler and may have caused them to cool faster that may have had an effect." end of quote.

In regard to that one box of lead coming in at 15BHN that I sold to Bullshop a few months ago. A POSSIBILITY: I did a cleanout of a range that had lead building up for about 3 to 4 years in 2 ports (I did the cleanout Fall of 2009). So, if I shipped lead from that range to Bullshop, and seeing that I had to chip away at long chunks running up the back wall, perhaps due to age (and pounding), it came in at 15 BHN??? I don't know. At that range, I did not separate out the "new lead" (loose) from the "old lead" (chunks). I had others report around 12.5. I guess, bottom line, when you get range lead, it can be a mixed bag. And I am not going to go nutz separating out chunks (which I can get from time to time) and separate out ingots. TOO MUCH DRAMA! It is what it is, and I am going my best to accurately describe my lead. end of 04/13/10 note ***

Also, another forum member recently tested my range lead ingots derived from 2 different indoor ranges. His tester is a Lee. The lead from one range was a mix of many years, due to not cleaning out the range. That sample tested at 13.4 and the other (lead cleaned out twice a year), tested at 11.

I must note that I do pick up lead from a few indoor ranges and so I can't make an absolute guarantee that the BHN numbers will be the same. But what I can say is that some ranges shoot mostly .22's, while other ranges shoot a more balance mix - ranging from .22 on up to .45acp. I am far from being an expert in regard to the hardness and properties of the lead reclaimed so I hope this description will suffice. I do my best to describe my lead and leave the final tests for hardness up to the customer.

In regard to Wheel Weight lead hardness: as I have already indicated in post 16, some forum members reported back to me that it tests at around 9BHN. However, I am getting readings higher, and because I am a newbie, apparentely I am not yet consistent with that first touch of the point on the lead. I am getting around 12-14 BHN.

The Cabine Tree Lead Hardness Cross Reference sheet states:

New WW 12.5 (est)
    Aged WW 14 (est).

WW vary in composition and your results may vary slightly. The new WW reading was taken at 1 day and the old was taken after several months.

Perhaps some forum members who have purchased my WW lead and, if they read this, may post their results here in this thread. Again, I am a newbie, I describe my lead to the best of my ability. I don't know the age of the WW's when I collect them (impossible), so it is a mixed bag. I would like to think that a boolit caster can make the necessary adjustments? Selling to boolit casters is a new venue for me. Previously, most of my lead was sold to people who cast fishing sinkers; and I did custom 25 pound ingots for use in weighting race cars and as ballast in fishing boats. I am trying to help people out here, and I feel that I offer my lead at a very fair price. As I mention in post 16:

I will advise that I am no "expert", and I have done the best I can to describe my lead. I rely on the customer to do their own tests {if necessary} and make adjustments accordingly. My previous venue was that of fishing sinkers and I found that there was no need to be so detailed.

I gladly accept returns and will refund money (by the pound) for any unsmelted ingots returned, in addition to return postage up to $10.20. However, I have never, ever had anyone return my lead to me since I started my casting operation back in Feb. 2007.

However, I ask you NOT to purchase my lead if you have any reservations in regard to "working with it" after I have done my best to describe my lead, in addition to report what other Boolit casters have determined in regard to the hardness of my lead. I have a steady supply of customers outside of this forum that I can sell to (at a higher price), so I don't need any undue drama over BHN's.

It is what it is.

With kind regards,

~ Newbie Kathie
    Last edited by TheCaptain; 04-13-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: update on hardness tests

Just received a box of range lead today. Melted some down, clean and cast well. Good person to deal with. Excellent communication, stout packaging, good product. Thanks

Interested in range lead, Kathie. P/M me for details. please ?
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

To uscra112

Received your PM and responded to same.

And if you determine that my lead is suitable, I will be here for ya!

Thanks a bunch.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Hi Kathie!!

It's Chuck again, and I noticed you had a few "stickies" in your bins--
    IF they are not spoken for, could I persuade you to set some aside for me? Your soft lead "stickies" are perfect for my needs, so- no hurry at all, but just let me know IF you can spare any, and how much $$ to send. If you've promised them to another, I will be patient 'til next time.
    Your lead is the best in my opinion, and it is a true pleasure to deal with you, every time- Keep up the good work, friend, and THANK YOU in advance.
    Chuck Vatnsdal
    358wcf

Vendor Sponsor

Thank you Chuck (358WCF) for.....

.... your very kind words!!!

I've added you to the stickon list (post #13 of this thread).

DCP is ahead of you.

The first 50LBS will go to DCP, and the next 50 (or partial) are yours. I did not yet weigh up the lead, but will be doing so shortly.... and I will report back how many pounds I have.

I will soon be busy as a bee!

In closing, I again thank you for your compliments.

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

Good W.W. Good price, Good lead...

I have bought WW's from Cap'n Kathie. Class Act. Good lead, good weight - - from what I can read BHN is 11/12 (bifocals & that Lee scope don't mix well).

She is "good folks"

JohnMc
    John Mc
    NSSA, NRA Life.

Moderator Emeritus

PM send
    I would like 50 lbs of soft lead from stick-on wheel weights or "stickies" as you call them.
    please put me on your waiting list, if you have one.
    Jon

Vendor Sponsor

to JohnB

...PM received and responded to.

Thanks!

~ K

Vendor Sponsor

Lost (?) correspondence

Hi,

I am taking a shot in the dark here and am hoping the forum member who wrote to me about 4 to 6 weeks ago will stumble upon this post.

I've searched through 100's of PM's looking for our exchange, and have come up empty !!!! This was in regard to testing "soft lead" hardness and pure lead; I am so sorry for my oversight! This tired ol' lady may be looking in the wrong place, since possibly this exchange of correspondence took place via E-Mail. I will have to plow through E-Mails next!

But, maybe I will get lucky and this person will see this post and will help keep this lady from going MORE nutz.

And a clarification: this person was waiting on me to send him my testing results done with my Cabine Tree tester.

Thanks!

Mis- Kathie
    Last edited by TheCaptain; 03-25-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Clarification

Boolit Master

If you just need some lead tested I have an LBT hardness tester. The sample has to be smaller than ingots, though. Bullet size works well.

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks Springfield!!!

PM sent.

And someday I will try to send you a sample since I am still quite the NEWBIE at testing lead hardness.

I truly appreciate your offer!

With kind regards,

~ Kathie

Boolit Master
    I tested a box of your range lead and it tested out at BHN-15 if that is any help.
    I would like to get a couple more boxes of it if possible.
    BIC/BS

Vendor Sponsor

To Bullshop

PM is on its way to you.

Thanks!

~ Kathie

I hope a supportive reply is okay by you --- I don't understand why anyone would get upset about you raising your prices to cover your costs --- economics 101 --- and you are still cheaper then most of your competition and your lead is good without any contaminants.

I havn't bought from you personally but my man has and I have been "liberating" from his stash --- it is good clean stuff, just add a little tin and it casts beautifully.

Pay no mind to the nay-says --- Damb the Torpedoes! Full Speed Ahead!

From one gal to another in this mainly mans world.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up TheCaptain is a Trooper!

Guys- each and every member of this forum is fortunate to have the company of Kathie, AKA TheCaptain. As she points out above, she invests her heart and soul in her salvage/smelting business, and we are the beneficiaries of her efforts and business ethics. Note her references above with respect to such things as HONOR, RESPECT, and DOING THE RIGHT THING-- these things are important to her. She is ONE OF US!
    She provides the top-quality product that keeps this casting hobby/obsession going. She does so at minimal profit, to ensure a steady demand and sales activity for her forum friends. Where else can you get top quality product, at the very best cost, with great service, and the very best packing in the business, every time?
    I've never met Kathie, but know she will treat every forum member as her own brother, given the opportunity. You can count on her, every time, and I am one who considers her a FRIEND!
    Support her business!
    Chuck
    3458wcf

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought some WW lead from TheCaptian.
    I feel that I got a GREAT deal, and was treated like I was a long lost friend!
    My poor old mailman is gonna hate me! I will be dealing more with TheCaptain in the future!

Abenaki......More than happy with the deal!

Vendor Sponsor

bump to 21 ...

... for more info on range lead hardness.

Thanks!

~ K

Here is another thumbs up for Kathie (TheCaptain). Her lead is good and clean, and her service and communication are excellent.

I have bought both clip on WW alloy and range scrap lead from her.

As far as anything informative to add to the conversation - the range lead she sells is indeed quite hard. People must shoot a lot of commercial cast at the ranges that she gets it from. Around here in my own local area reclaimed range lead is very soft being mainly the cores from jacketed boolits.

In no way suggesting I'm not a satisfied customer, just adding to the info flow.

Boolit Bub
    Kathie, I'd like to get in line for 50# of your wheel weight lead, will wend you a PM with my details..
    Jordan

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast