RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder ? H&G 68 bullet

Boolit Buddy

Powder ? H&G 68 bullet

I've been using W231 for years. 99% of my 45s are 208gr H&G 68 bullet, W/W lead. Alox lube. Is there anything out there better and cleaner powder to use. I heard some people say that , Clays, or HP38 is alot cleaner.

Thank-you.........

Boolit Grand Master
    How about Bullseye? It always worked well for me in lighter loads.

Banned

I use alot of surplus aa2 in my 45s now. Its clean and accurate.

Boolit Master
    WW231 was my favorite propellant for .45ACP until I tried HP38. IIRC, HP38 is a more recent formulation than 231 and was engineered to burn cooler and cleaner. Clays also burns cleaner than 231.

I used 231 & HP38 behind SAECO no. 68 for indoor plate matches. Either metered well thru the Uniflow.

HTH

Regards........walltube

Vihtavuori N320 works very well for me.

hopper

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Bullseye is about the dirtiest propellent one can shoot.

I shot about 16# of Bullseye in 45 auto. Dirty, dirty, dirty. Oh, and? DIRTY. DIRTY. DIRTY.

Then, a very long time ago an old ****er (who is about the age I am now) discovered Scott Solo 1000 from a stub article in American Rifleman, which noted how good Solo 1K was for 38 spl loads.

Johnson said, "Mac? If it's good for 38 spl, it's good for 45 auto." He was spot on.

Solo 1K is fabulous for 45 auto or any other cartridge you might load w/Bullseye;

-----> Johnson compared the Solo 1K performance to Bullseye on a Ransom Rest,
    and never again shot Bullseye.

--->>> Neither have I!

I've likely shot 30 or more pounds of Solo 1K in the past in 45 acp target loads

I actually passed on a freebie 8# jug of Bullseye when my shooting mentor passed on.

---> I mean, who wants that dirty crap?

I also will be using Solo 1K or Pearl Scot for 9mm and 40 win when my W231 runs out.

Iben using Pearl Scot, which is just a wee bit slower, in my 44 spl loads.

Great stuff, those Scot propellants?

The Scot propellants are highly underrated!, as is being Single and Divorced!

Boolit Buddy

30 years of bullseye competition Lots of Bullseye down the barrel and just about anything else. Now using W/W WST GW

Accuray first= Bullseye or what ever powder gets you in the 10 ring @ 50 yards.

I,ise 4.0 Red Dot a with that bullet.Not especially clean burning, but it’s accurate, and I have a bunch of it.

Another good load is 4.2 Bullseye. Most accurate load I have shot to date. I may switch entirely if supplies ever loosen up.
    Last edited by scattershot; 11-25-2021 at 12:33 AM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmacd View Post
    HP38 is the identical powder to W231. Same stuff. Same factory. Same batches.
    Do you realize that W231 and HP38 are the very same propellants?

From the same factory. From the same lots.

Look it up.

They are one and the same.

If you can't figure it out, ping me here and I'll either find the link or post the download I made decades back.

Boolit Master
    The post making reference to 231 and hp38 being different was from 2006. Someone revived a very old thread here.

Boolit Master
    The later Bullseye is cleaner and my better groups are with 4.5 grains with a 200 lead boolit. I seat mine a little deeper than the photo. Most of my 1911's have ribs and easy to shoot. I try different powders but always come back to bullseye in 45acp.

4.3gr of clays will put bugholes in targets @ 50ft with those H&G 68's.

Boolit Master

I used some WSL1 and it really burned clean in my .45ACP revolver and also my .38 special loads. Accuracy was about on par with the W231 I have used for many, many years. james

Boolit Master
    Titegroup, if you can find any.

I've been using Accurate #2 in 9mm, .38 Special, .45 auto, and .41 magnum( Special level) loads to conserve my dirty Bullseye. It's working well.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I would add 700x to the list of clean and accurate in 45acp, it meters well in my Dillon on the 650 also.

Boolit Master

Since I started powder coating my H&G 68 clones, they shoot a lot cleaner no matter which powder I use. However my favorite powder for that load is HP-38/WW231.

Boolit Master

4 grains of Promo/RedDot has served me well for the last ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Since I started powder coating my H&G 68 clones, they shoot a lot cleaner no matter which powder I use.
    This^^^^

Had a bunch of 45acp reloads laying around and decided to burn everything up this year. Had target loads, just burning up a +/- 1/4# of powder loads, sold the mold & had bullets laying around to burn up loads. Put a fastfire III on the 1911 this year and wanted to clear everything out and start over.

So now there's a bunch of empty cases laying around. Being a caster bullets aren't an issue & I got enough primers laying around to last another 3/4 years. Started looking at powders and I do burn a lot of bullseye & have 8#+ of it. Also found 13/14# of clays and decided to do test loads using the 3 main 45acp bullets I use/cast.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Decades ago I shot a lot of the lyman 452488 swc's in a 1911 wadgun using 4.0gr of clays. Cast a lot of h&g 68# and used 4.3gr of clays for range fodder/blammo ammo plinking loads. So I made up some test loads using the bullets pictured above and the 4.0gr & 4.3gr of clays and hit the range.

Setup targets @ 50ft and rested a springfield ro topped with a reddot in a pistol rest and started testing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

It's only 1 test and there's only 5-shot groups @ 50ft. As you can see these aren't cherry/hand picket targets by any means. I will say that all 3 bullets/5-shot test loads using 4.3gr of clays shot under 1" groups (1" squares on the targets).
    [IMG][/IMG]

Clays is well worth looking into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast