RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder ? H&G 68 bullet

Boolit Master

I have found VV 310 to be cleaner than 231. I could never get a complete burn with 231.
    There are several powders that produce match winning ammo for the .45 acp.
    They are Bullseye, WW231, Solo 1000, WST, WW452AA, Clays, 700x VV310,VV320, and others.
    Bullseye is probably the most popular powder at the national matches.

Boolit Mold
    I have loaded 10's of 1000's of H&G 68 with my Star reloader using nothing but WW231 or HP38. This was back in the 70's and 80's. Also had a Model M1 A1 Thompson that I loaded H&G 34 rounds for with about same time period. Also nothing but WW231. That was the Holy Grail load back then when shooting IPSC. Match 45 cases, Winchester primers, 231 powder and H&G 68 bullets.
    My buddy used my reloads at Nationals that year and did pretty well. Think that was the year Ross Seyfried won all the marbles. I know he was using Milt Sparks leather because my buddy was working for Milt at the time. Ross winning that year was a real feather in Milt's cap and certainly helped his business.
    I do remember some of the shooters around here started playing around with WW452AA powder and really liked it. Said it gave a softer recoil impulse. I bought up a bunch of it because it was cheap but never got around to trying it. Fast forward about 40 years and I am trying it with 9mm. I like it. Going to try it in 45 when I load up another batch. I think Winchester WST is what replaced the old 452AA. Might have to try it also.

Boolit Master
    My favorite 45 ACP powder these days is TiteWad. 3.3 grains under a 230 grain bullet gives ~730 fps, 3.7 grains under Lymans 452460 (my favorite) gives ~820 fps. You can go to Hodgdon and look the data up. TiteWad is clean, low charge weight and accurate. You can also make a few 9mm loads with it. It doesn't have broad applications like TiteGroup, Bullseye, 231 and others but where it performs, it performs very well

I use HP-38 (same as 231) and WST

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12