RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: portable casting cart

Banned

portable casting cart

Gentlemen,

I completed a project last night that I thought might be of interest to others.

I had been using my turkey fryer burner to process wheelweights and cast boolits in my garage. Worked well enough, just a bit too low to the ground. I decided I needed a taller, and if possible portable, casting setup that I could use in the garage during wet weather or roll outside when it's nice.

So, from my neighbor who hauls junk for scrap, I acquired an old gas barbeque grill that was missing the grill part. The cart was in decent shape and the regulator and side tables were intact. I had planned on attaching my fryer burner to it at the right height and making the rest into work space. Howver, this grill had a side burner on it that is used (when cooking not casting) to prepare side dishes etc. On a whim I hooked my tank up to the gas line and tried to light the side burner, thinking if it worked I might use it to pre-heat my molds instead of my hot plate. It worked just fine, so on another whim I set a pot of boolit metal on it. I really didn't expect it would melt very well or fast, so I was surprised when it melted the pot of metal just about as fast as my fryer burner.

I used some scrap wood to make a workspace where the original grill was, and I made a removable leg from a 2X2 that I can bolt under the burner side to keep the cart stable. I now have a casting table at the right height that I can roll outside when the weather is nice. It has plenty of work area, I'm going to add a bit of storage underneath by the propane tank for ingots, and it even has a little basket on the front (originally for salt & pepper etc) where I can put my ladle and sprue knocker.

If you're looking to build a portable casting cart, consider an old gas grill. People throw them out all the time when the grill part rusts out.

SSB

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    SSB,

Can we git a pic? That sounds like a pretty good idea.

Regards,

Dave

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by singleshotbuff
    If you're looking to build a portable casting cart, consider an old gas grill.
    You may have turned my thoughts in a direction that will solve a problem I have been keeping 'on the back burner' for a while. Now I need to dig through my junk, again. That makes twice this year...and it's only April !
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

If this works right, my BBQ sideburner special should be here. I've found that the heat shield adds considerable btu's to the pot and also makes a dandy spot to prop a mold to preheat. Regards, Woody
    Last edited by woody1; 01-30-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Here's another shot of the BBQ sideburner special. The lid speeds the initial melting significantly but requires an adjustment of the air flow in the gas line. The pot I use holds 40# filled to the top. Usable is about 20# leaving an inch freeboard at top and as I use a ladle I usually have about 1" in the bottom when I add metal. Regards, Woody
    Last edited by woody1; 01-30-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Grand Master
    Geez boolit casters can make workable, usefull stuff out of anybody's cast aways!

Good job!