Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: gas check ?

Boolit Mold

gas check ?

If one of the purposes of a gas check is to scrape the bore free from lead deposits, then can one use gas check bullets that are sub optimally lubed without trouble? I've been using allox and been very diligent in coating and then recoating after sizing and applying the GC and I'm wondering if I could get by with less.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm curious, what boolit are you using?

The main purpose of the gas check is to seal the boolit to prevent the vaporizing of the boolit base and causing it to condense back onto the barrel. gas will blow around without it, when the pressure and heat reaches a point where it overcomes the resistance.

What velocities are you running?

SHiloh

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    If one of the purposes of a gas check is to scrape the bore free from lead deposits, then can one use gas check bullets that are sub optimally lubed without trouble? I've been using allox and been very diligent in coating and then recoating after sizing and applying the GC and I'm wondering if I could get by with less.
    Only one answer to that question- maybe. Each gun is a law unto itself. Every change you make, consciously or not, adds up. Some guns seem very forgiving, some are just the opposite. I realize that's not an answer, but all you can do is try. The gc may serve a a scraper in some guns, but I have a couple where the GC is no where near large enough to scrape the grooves, yet my groves remain clean. So, IMO, sometimes they function as a scraper. You can try cutting your lube a bit, but you'll need to be observant and see what happens over a number of rounds.

FWIW- I use on coat of Mule Snot on my boolits and do well up to 14-1500 fps in some rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    You can get by with a lot less. The coat before sizing is unneeded. A few drops of anything slippery will do for sizing. Liquid soap, WD-40, even Pam.

You can also cut most batches of LLA with about a third mineral spirits, and you can cut costs drastically by ordering XLOX from White Label Lube. Same stuff, different label.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.