WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleanest burning powder?

Boolit Master

Cleanest burning powder?

I am fooling with a 58 grain wadcutter in .357. (Yes, 58 gr.) I didn't think it would shoot worth a hoot, but the darn thing shows some promise. I am shooting these in a Marlin carbine, and want to make a small game load, but the boolit is so light, even Bullseye won't burn completely, the barrel is FULL of unburned powder.

I've never tried any even remotely "new" powders. Are any of them good in respect to clean burning with light loads? Thanks for your help.

You've gotta problum (ya think?). More powder will burn cleaner, but may give you leading, or ruin yer accuracy. Maybe try red dot, etc?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

or 231.
    i'd look to a shotgun powder they burn just fine at lower pressures.
    3.5 clays ,or red dot to start.

Boolit Master
    I've tried 4 grs. of BE. It makes a bigger bang than I expected. The boolit only has a single lube groove, so I imagine I will have to call it quits on the velocity at some point. Red Dot is close to BE in burn rate, does it seem to burn cleaner? I have alot of Trailboss, but I'm not a big fan of the residue it leaves on cases. I'll prolly try some anyways. I'll try the 231 also, I have a partial pound left somewheres. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Clays...? Definitely cleaner than Red Dot.

Clays would be better, but NOTHING will be cleaner than Solo 1000. That's an Accurate powder, now avaliable through Western (Ramshot).

(What an exceedingly odd bullet, though ...)

Boolit Master

light & clean?

Maybe relative terms given the light bullet. Ditto to trying Clays and Solo 1000. Also, 700X would be worth a look-see.

Boolit Grand Master

Acurrate Arms #2 is a very clean powder in "normal" loads, like 3.6grs with a 158gr RFN. Don't know about dropping 100 grs off the boolit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405 View Post
    Maybe relative terms given the light bullet. Ditto to trying Clays and Solo 1000. Also, 700X would be worth a look-see.
    Yeah, I guess that would have been a better way to put it. I just tried 5.0 grs. of 231, thinking a little higher load density would help. It didn't. Also shot like crap. I will try going in the other direction, maybe 2 grains of BE, and see if I can round up some Clays.

Boolit Grand Master

4.0 of bullseye is a lot for that light bullet I would cut that back to 3 and see how that does. I use 6.0 of Trail Boss in a 38-55 behind a round ball for small game and that seems to work nice. You might give that a try with a starting load.

+1 on the Solo 1000. However, I think the fastest VV powder (N310) might even be cleaner.

Regardless, using a good tight crimp will help get the powder up to pressure and start the burn going.

AJ

Banned

Oh my Dubber, what has the world come to? 58 gr!

On the cutting edge again my friend! Keep goin'
    "A man's got to know his limitations"
    Greg

Moderator Emeritus

Will 3 fit in a 357 case? Increase boolit weight or cut powder till you find the sweet spot. 2.7 gr of bullseye was the standard load over a 148 gr wadcutter for targets. I would start at 2.0 grains and see if you get complete burning, nothing stuck in the bbl and enough poweer for small game. IMO, you may want to increase bullet weight if you need more killing power.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Will 3 fit in a 357 case? Increase boolit weight or cut powder till you find the sweet spot. 2.7 gr of bullseye was the standard load over a 148 gr wadcutter for targets. I would start at 2.0 grains and see if you get complete burning, nothing stuck in the bbl and enough poweer for small game. IMO, you may want to increase bullet weight if you need more killing power.
    Yes indeed, 3 do fit... Burns clean too. Trying them singly was actually an after thought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Oh my Dubber, what has the world come to? 58 gr!
    What can I say Jim, I've been seriously thinking of buying a BFR lately too.... Maybe I've got a fever or sumthin'...

Boolit Master
    IMR’s Trail Boss is fast and clean burning. True it might smudge the brass a little, but I would be very surprised if it left any unburned powder in the barrel. For the most part my Trail Boss loads have been very accurate from a verity of calibers. Also IMR specifically designed Trail Boss for ultra light “mouse fart” loads and cartridges that where at one time BP.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the trail boss. I use it for a half dozen calibres where full power isn't needed.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master

A cowboy shooter years ago told me his favorite, clean powder was Alliant's American Select. I've never used it, and he is the only one that ever mentioned it to me. I see they still list it.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master

Have you tried just a primer or maybe a primer and a gluelit. Actually Trail Boss sounds most promising because of its bulk. Seems like ignition would be more positive...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.