WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Zinc Removal with Sulfur Report

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I prefer using copper sulfate when I have to do this, it adds a little copper to the lead which makes it more elastomeric.

Fumes are nasty, you'll only "accidentally" breathe them once
    But does it get rid of the zinc as good as sulfur?

Boolit Master
    Copper sulfate has sulfur in it. So the short answer to your question is yes. Just depends on how much zinc you’re trying to remove.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I just realized that the copper sulfate that I ordered, and should be here, tomorrow…. Is in crystal form. I read in one of these threads that crystals contain water, and can’t be directly added to the pot? How are they added? The description is fine crystals, but further down, it reads powder. The product pic shows really small blue crystals.
    Please forgive my confusion…
    Last edited by Krh1326; 07-28-2022 at 09:57 PM.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Krh1326, I use the blue crystals also. Just spread the crystals across the hot melt, it should dry quickly! Then just stir it in, it’ll do what it does! DO NOT breathe the fumes. Once is all it’s going to convince you not to do it again! Be safe,
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Wow, this really is a great thread!
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Mold
    I used copper sulfate, zep root killer, to skim off zinc that I missed . Lost about 8-12 lbs. Out of a 50 lb block. My next casting session I'm going to empty my pot and try what I melted today. Fingers crossed.lol

Boolit Master
    Zep Root Kill works for me. I melted a piece of zinc into lead as a test - turned into a slushy mess. Added copper sulfate a few times, and now the lead is great for casting. I think you can overdo the copper sulfate, and just create more & more slag after all the zinc is gone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Zep Root Kill works for me. I melted a piece of zinc into lead as a test - turned into a slushy mess. Added copper sulfate a few times, and now the lead is great for casting. I think you can overdo the copper sulfate, and just create more & more slag after all the zinc is gone.
    Curious how much zinc you added and how much sludge you removed.

Boolit Master
    I added 200 grains of zinc to 4 lb of lead, giving 0.7% zinc. I didn’t consider how much lead I lost, but after going through the process I’m sure it’s a measurable quantity. I just wanted to see if it really worked. The lead did go from trash to useable alloy.
    It’s so much effort that I’ll only do this for special cases.

Boolit Mold
    I just posted to this thread so I can find it again.

I did not find any reaction with the sulfuric acid and wheel weights. I did however find a reaction using muriatic acid and wheel weights. A couple of drops on a suspect bare piece of suspect lead will bubble up indicating the presence of zinc or not. I use it on lead that I cannot readily identify. Sulfuric acid works great for "etching".

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789