Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: casting for 30 carbine?

casting for 30 carbine?

Has anyone cast for the 30 carbine?

Do I need a gas check bullt for the 30 carbine?

I was thinking about using the Lee 32 cal pistol boolit 311-100-2R

the 30 carbine should be similar to a 38/357 round.

In Remebrance

If you want the action to cycle then a GC design would sure make things easier. But, there's no reason you couldn't try the PB boolit with appropriate charges.

Boolit Master
    I've cast for the .30 carbine. It's a iffie proposition for plain base bullets. Enough pressure to operate the carbine is right on the edge of too much pressure for the bullet. I was using the Lyman 130 #311410 (312410?), and I'm pretty sure it can't be done with a 100 grain bullet.

Were I to try it again, I'd try the Lee C309-113-RF. Might be some trouble getting it to feed, but it's the right weight, it's GC, and it shoots like a dream in other .30 cals.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Master
    PB work fine in mine but the gas check boolits shoot better.

I tried some of the 32 boolits I had before I got a .30 boolit for it and the 32;s didn;t work very well

Beagle wrote an awesome couple of articles on cast in the .30 Carbine & Ruger Blackhawk..

http://www.castpics.net/memberarticl...%20Carbine.htm

Definitely worth a read!
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck

Boolit Master

Didn't have any problem with PB bullets in the .30 Carbine. Size it to .310 and that bullet should shoot and feed all right./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Mold

So far, so good

I am using the Lee 311-100-2R in my old Inland M-1 Carbine, since recently, only one hundred rounds so far, but no problems with feed, ejection, or accuracy. I am sizing .310" and I have actually found fewer problems in loading, due to the slightly larger-diameter boolit. The jacketed bullets I have used are all .308". With either of two sets of dies, one RCBS, one Lyman, the case isn't resized small enough to give a good neck tension, and the jacketed bullets want to push back into the case mouth. I have tried all the tricks of taper crimping I know, and with many brands of cases, same problem. The .310" dia cast stays put. I am pleased!

Le Loup Solitaire

Cast in the 30 Carbine

I have been using the RCBS 115 grain Round nose with gas check. Load is 13.5 grains of IMR 4227. It feeds reliably, cycles the action and groups as well as GI ball. Sized to .310 with NRA 50/50 Beeswax-Alox and a slight taper crimp. LLS

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leftoverdj View Post

Were I to try it again, I'd try the Lee C309-113-RF. Might be some trouble getting it to feed, but it's the right weight, it's GC, and it shoots like a dream in other .30 cals.
    I tried this bullet and had major action problems. Because of the flat nose you have to set the bullets real deep or the action doesn't work because the bullet keeps the brass from seating all the way and it's a little hard to because you don't have much bullet left. A round nose bullet works ok as long as it is somewhat pointed like the original round.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy

LYMAN 311 359 GC 13.6 Gr. 4227 CCI SP PRIMER RP CASES. GIVES ME 1" GROUPS AT 50 Yds. SOMETIMES ONE HOLE.....BigMac

I have recently acquired the Lee C309-120-R GC for the carbine. The best load so far is 6.0 grs Unique. It fully functioned in 4 different Carbines with an average vel. of 1470 .. I do have the Lyman #311359 GC but have not really taken to time to workup any loads with it ... SOON!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Didn't have any problem with PB bullets in the .30 Carbine. Size it to .310 and that bullet should shoot and feed all right./beagle
    +1. Cast them hard. No need for a gas check.

Don

Boolit Grand Master

The faster powders work but if it is a fast powder it usually doesn't have the pressure built up long enough to cycle the action. Not a major problem, just cycle it by hand or use a slower powder so that the action has time to cycle.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by captain-03 View Post
    I have recently acquired the Lee C309-120-R GC for the carbine. The best load so far is 6.0 grs Unique. It fully functioned in 4 different Carbines with an average vel. of 1470 .. I do have the Lyman #311359 GC but have not really taken to time to workup any loads with it ... SOON!!
    Captain, I just cast a few from my 309-120-1R they cast at .311. I will be picking up some checks and a sizer die. My IBM and Winchester M1 carbines both slug at .308. I am thinking of sizing them to .309 or .310. What do you size yours to?

I got some Unique on had but might try picking up some other powders to try (i.e. 2400, accurate #9, etc). What powders other than Unique have you tried?
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Master

I've shot the Lyman 130 gr plain base in more than 25 carbines with excellent results. I currently have 12 of them and use it in all of them. I have good function and no leading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I've shot the Lyman 130 gr plain base in more than 25 carbines with excellent results. I currently have 12 of them and use it in all of them. I have good function and no leading.
    How about in the Ruger .30 M-1 Carbine Blackhwk?

Boolit Grand Master

I size my boolits .311" or .310". Tried .309" and acurracy was not as good. If the throat will take a .311" then that is best.
    I tried the Lee plain base boolit but did not get good results with it. The Lee 113gr. GC boolit shoots real good in 2 of my carbines, while the 120gr. Lee gc shoots real good in all 3 carbines.
    1,900+ fps not a problem with the gas check boolits, 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards most days.

Boolit Buddy
    I also cast Lyman's 130 grain 311410 (Lyman #2 alloy, sized .309") and my results have been excellent. In my carbine, I get smooth functioning starting with just 10.0 grains of H110 and excellent acccuracy all the way up to 11.5 grains. Clean, with little or no leading. I'd recommend this load to anyone.

Boolit Master

Don't know about the Blackhawk. Mine is .45 colt. But really, I wouldn't expect any different results.

Boolit Mold

.30 M1 Carbine

I bought my carbine from the DCM back in the 60s for $20.00.
    I've used Lyman 311359, 115g pointed gas check with 12g of 2400 without any problem. Cast of linotype and no leading. Shoot thru a car door.
    Jeff Bartlett's (GIBrass.com)WC820 was made for the .30 carbine round.
    Fun plinker but hate scratching around for the cases.
    Dr. Sam