WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lathesmith's Star dies

Boolit Master

Lathesmith's Star/Ballisticast dies

UPDATE: As of 11/30/2022, I've closed the machine shop, and am no longer making dies. I'll still try and supply the punch nuts with setscrews, and maybe some occasional punch work, as i still have a good supply of both of these on hand. Anyway, thanks to all for your support over the years, it's been a privilege to serve each and every one of you!
    Good shooting,
    lathesmith

Hello all, as many of you know, I specialize in making dies for the Star, Magma Star, and Ballisti-cast bullet sizing machines. You get what I consider to be a good value in die making--at a reasonable price! Currently, I offer the standard factory flange-style dies, these run $. Shipping is $ for the first die, +$ for each additional die. These dies are hardened to better than 50+Rockwell. I have a "standard" lube hole design, that consists of 3 rows of holes spaced .125 or so apart, with the first row approximately .750 from the top of the die. If you want or need something different, just send me a message and we can discuss your needs.

I also make punches for the Star; the regular flat punch runs $ and a "dished" punch runs $. Plain punch nuts are $ each, and the punch nuts with setscrews are $. These ship free if purchased with your dies. One more item I also offer for the Star: a roller L-handle. These run $ each shipped.
    Update: I now offer punches and punch nuts with setscrews for the Ballisti-cast MK VI sizer. The punches are the same price as listed above for the Star. The punch nuts with setscrews are $ each, or $.
    Your dies normally ship about a week after I receive your payment; check or money order for payment is fine. If you wish to order or have questions about your Star die and punch needs, just send me a PM or email and I'll do my best to fix you up! I'll be adding and updating this listing in the next several days; thanks to all of you here at the forums for making this possible, with a special thanks to Ken.
    Good shooting,
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shooting stuff 008 (Small).jpg   DSCF0013 (Small).JPG  
    Last edited by lathesmith; 12-27-2022 at 12:59 PM. Reason: closing the shop.

Thumbs up

I've used lathesmith star dies and I'm a repeat customer.Top-of-the-line work.
    Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Been there, done that, will do it again many more times. The locking nut is a great idea for quick setup when changing calibers and boolits. You can often find a setting that will work on a lot of different boolits with out adjustment. I have one setup that will do 2 45/70 boolits and 4 different 44 boolits without adjustment. too cool.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    Lathesmith dies = good product, good value and fast shipment.
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy

Lathesmith makes g-r-e-a-t star dies. Having several, and going to get more, he's a gentleman to deal with.

Boolit Buddy
    Lathsmith's dies are as good as or better than the factory dies. Outstanding service and communications. His claim of shipping in about a week is accurate.

Boolit Master
    The two dies you did for my STAR are excellent..oversized boolits are the answer to MARLIN Cowboy rifles AND seem slightly more accurate for generic ammo for "a herd of VAQUEROS."

Quick question: CAN you make custom seating punches for DILLON dies? I like the convenience of the DILLON design to clean the seater and crimp dies, but the generic nose punch is just a little bit off and mars the boolits.

Boolit Master
    EDK, Send me a PM with what you have in mind, and we'll see if that can be done.
    lathesmith

Can you help a rookie?
    What is the benefit of the snap ring as opposed to the standard flange? What is the best way to remove your dies from the Star sizer?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Boolit Buddy

Good Stuff

I'd like to echo the comments about Lathesmith's work. I recently got a .452 and .401 die and thought I would test them for hardness and compare to original Star Dies and while I was at it I also tested Lyman and RCBS dies as well.

I used a Wilson TT tester and calibrated on a 62 HRC test block to ensure accuracy.

Here are the raw readings:

58.8 HRC
    58.9 HRC
    59.9 HRC
    58.5 HRC
    58.6 HRC
    59.0 HRC

The average of the readings is 58.95 HRC which is very hard.

For comparison, I tested one of the Star made dies I had and it measured an average of 51.6 HRC

Conclusion: Lathesmith's dies could swage mild steel and not wear out. 59C is about as hard as woodworking chisels and plane irons. Hard! Star's while no slouch either were pretty hard as well. But, 7.5 points of hardness is quite a difference.

Here was the real shocker, both the Lee and RCBS dies measured a measly 12-14C. It's not a valid test because they are way too soft. It tells me that they are just mild steel, no hardening or tempering.

Just wanted to point this out so people could be educated. Lathesmith's dies are the best out there, the hardest and will last the longest. All that for a cheaper price.

Good Deal!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathesmith die.jpg  
    Zbench

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Can you help a rookie?
    What is the benefit of the snap ring as opposed to the standard flange? What is the best way to remove your dies from the Star sizer?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    I would also like to have the answer to this as I am getting ready to get a Star.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Buddy

While I'm no Star veteran, having just got one last month myself, I think the idea is to remove the snap ring and push the die out of the press.

Having said that, I find the easiest way to remove the die is not to use the gizmo that star sends to pull it out. That would require you to remove the bullet in the die which is the reference point to set the punch when you swap that die out and put another in.

I turned a piece of wood down which is just under the diameter of the die. I then drilled a .500" hole in the end for clearance for any bullet that might be in the die sticking out. When I am ready to remove the die, I just push up with the dowel and it pops right out.

It doesn't disturb the bullet inside the die, it is wood so it doesn't mar the machine and if you use a heater to warm your wax, it comes out easily with just a push.

While others may differ, I think that having the flange integral to the die is a good thing...no play in any snap ring and it's just a solid set up.

That's my take...other's may have different opinions.

Pete
    Zbench

Boolit Master
    Thanks,
    Mark
    The snap ring die is a little cheaper; that's the benefit. Think of the snap ring style as a lighter-duty version of the flange design. The snap ring design is best for more experienced users, who know their Star sizers and the machine's quirks and limitations. The flanged die will handle anything the Star press is capable of doing.

As Pete and others have said, there really isn't a "best" way of removing a die, although I do prefer the die puller tool personally. I take a caliper and measure from the punch face to the die face, and write that down somewhere--preferably where I can find it again! Keep your notes handy, and you can swap out dies and punches with little or no re-adjustment when you re-install them later.
    And, some guys like to get multiple punches, and then get nuts with setscrews, for the "set it and forget it" mode.
    lathesmith

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Sent you a PM.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master
    Die removal -- I use the dowel method described by Zbench. On rare occasions I have had to turn on the heater for a breif time to warm up the lube allowing easier extraction.
    ph4570

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Another vote of confidence and craftsmanship to Lathesmith for his dies from me too. I have several of his dies and top punches. I just ordered another die and top punch this morning from him.

While I'm no Star veteran, having just got one last month myself, I think the idea is to remove the snap ring and push the die out of the press.
    I was once told not to remove the die this way because there was a slight taper to the die and it may damage the machine. I haven't used a micrometer to see if that is true or not.
    I use the tool shipped with the Sizer unit but I understand the wood dowel works well.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy

Sam,

Intrigued by your mention of tapered dies, I measured both Star originals and Lathesmith's Both measure .750 exact on both bands.

The tool I made is undersized...it won't touch the machine casting at all.

I like to leave the last boolit in there since then it is a snap to set the top punch.

Insert the new die, screw in the top punch as far as it will go, bottom the stroke out and then lower the top punch until it stops against the boolit.

This causes it to be set to perfection each time. The tool that comes with the Star requires you to remove the boolit each time which causes you to loose the reference. I just hate the constant fiddling to get it set right...once it's done it's done forever with the method I use.

Of course, if you change boolits, you have to start over.

Pete
    Zbench

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I really like your idea of leaving the last boolit in the die for reference for the top punch. That’s one of those I wish that I had though of that ideas.

About the die taper, that was something that I read here on the forum once. Like I said I never verified it. I’m glad you checked it.
    I once stuck a boolit in one of Lathesmith’s dies and popped the C-Ring off. I was scared to try and push it on through because of what I had read so I tapped it back out with a wood dowel.
    Sticking the boolit was my fault. It was the first boolit of a new run and I should have used a little lube on that first boolit.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Not a Star die,

but another fine example of lathesmith's handiwork. Had him open a Forster case trimmer bushing inside dia. to accept L.E. Wilson case trimmer tools. In this instance a 45deg. neck champher\de-burr tool. Wilson's military crimp remover (at the trimmer base' left) may also be installed in the bushing.

Lathesmith does some very slick work for a reasonable price.

My Stuff 039.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Stuff 039.jpg  
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Boolit Master
    Walltube, thanks for the pic! I had hoped that bushing worked out well for you. I was able to bore it without having to anneal it, so the temper is just as it was when you sent it. That looks like a handy setup you have there, and now it is even more versitile!

Sam and Pete, I think there was speculation at one time that the bore of the Star sizer might be tapered, not the die itself. That is the reason I didn't recommend that you could just pop the C-clip off one of those dies and push it through. A guy could easily check this-- you could remove the C-clip and take a dowel and put it under the ram and see if it would go all the way through. If you feel growing resistance, STOP! Otherwise, just check to be sure you don't have any nicks around where the C-clip goes, and it should push all the way through. To be honest, I've never tried this, so you are on your own here. Hmmm, guess I might have to give it a go...
    Of course, this talk of a possible tapered bore is a mute point with the newer sizers, as the dies "float" in a pair of O-rings. This way, they can loosen the tolerance on the sizer where it is bored for the die, and can speed up production and lower their costs this way.
    lathesmith

Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast