MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35rem & whelen loads??

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW my 356 Win doesn't do well with .359" bullets. It likes .360" much better. I would try to size them larger. Good luck!

45 2.1,
    I know I might be pleasantly surprised when I shoot those 8mm's. They cast right at .325". My Mauser 98 does not have a real beautiful bore though. I got them cast so I am going to try them!

Boolit Master
    when I cleaned the whelen at home with Wipe Out the patches came out dark brown to black! Real sooty,could that indicate a low pressure problem? The higher power loads showed more flattening of the primers.39 grain loads had sooty necks after firing.

Boolit Master
    jhalcott... I've seen you on the Graybeard site talking about your .35 calibers. Glad to see you here, too. If anyone can give you good advice, it's this bunch. It sounds like your Whelen doesn't have the right twist for your bullet, obviously not stabilizing well. I've never known any of the other inaccuracy factors to contribute to that kind of destabilizing situation. Good luck with it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jhalcott
    when I cleaned the whelen at home with Wipe Out the patches came out dark brown to black! Real sooty,could that indicate a low pressure problem? The higher power loads showed more flattening of the primers.39 grain loads had sooty necks after firing.

jh,

I think that you need to slug that Shaw. You need three slugs. One for the throat and then push it out. One for the muzzle and push it out. And one for all the way through.

14 twist should handle everything from 180 right on up. If you have stabilization problems it ain't the rifling. Once you slug and measure, you will answer some questions. You should be pushing 2" or less with several loads in the ranges you mention.

Boolit Master

358318 tilting in bore?

A friend's .35 Whelen showed poor accuracy with his 358318 bullets. We were able to recover half a dozen from a snowbank in the spring, which showed rifling along one side of the nose only - they were tilting in the bore and undoubtedly gyrating all over the place.

Boolit Master
    I checked the gun and found no obvious problems. Then I looked at the bullets!more importantly at the gas checks. there are many that are NOT flat? I used a Lee sizer to seat the checks then lubed in an RCBS unit. If I just use the Rcbs , the Noses get a ring when I push them into the sizer die. When I seat the bullets I swipe them across a rag to remove any lube on the checks. I found 5 in the first 50 bullets. Back to the drawing board!

Bass, That's what I was thinking . why am i bothering to think???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jhalcott
    I checked the gun and found no obvious problems. Then I looked at the bullets!more importantly at the gas checks. there are many that are NOT flat? I used a Lee sizer to seat the checks then lubed in an RCBS unit. If I just use the Rcbs , the Noses get a ring when I push them into the sizer die. When I seat the bullets I swipe them across a rag to remove any lube on the checks. I found 5 in the first 50 bullets. Back to the drawing board!

Bass, That's what I was thinking . why am i bothering to think???

Buckshot can make a tool for you that will solve your gas check woe's.

I wonder if those checks of yours are from the latest group buy?

I got 5000 of the sorriest excuse for a .35 cal gas check I have ever seen in the mail the other day from the latest group buy.

I participated in the first group buy that bull shop did and those were first class A-1 checks.

good luck

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke
    I got 5000 of the sorriest excuse for a .35 cal gas check I have ever seen in the mail the other day from the latest group buy.

I participated in the first group buy that bull shop did and those were first class A-1 checks.

good luck
    What's the story on your checks? Mine all appear ok. Inquiring minds want to know.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi
    What's the story on your checks? Mine all appear ok. Inquiring minds want to know.

They all (Not some) look like they were flipped upside down and struck with a center punch, the indented part is more than half the height of the check.

Its hard to imagine the maker not knowing something was wrong.

good luck

Boolit Master

I have 2k 35 cal checks from the group buy. Mine are also kind of concave. I haven't tried them yet, but wonder if they might flatten out when seated on the boolit, or if not does it matter?
    Other checks from same GB, 30's and 44's, are perfectly flat.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    They will flatten out when shot. Just get them on well squared like any other check. Concave is what happens anyway during firing, flat or not. Even convex checks become concave at the berm. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

OK; don't worry, be happy.
    Sounds good to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12