MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 Where is best accuracy found?

Cast Boolits Owner

45-70 Where is best accuracy found?

A discussion with "Frank" on another thread has lead to this thread. Seems we need to get an opinion on where the best accuracy is found. Just to keep "Frank" happy, be prepared to post proof of your thoughts.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Are we talking pistols, rifles, or both? I am particularly interested in guide gun results.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

My Guide Gun load is 57.0 W748 with a Fed mag primer (probably any
    brand would be OK) with the RCBS 405 GC cast from AC WWt and
    lubed with LBT blue or 50/50 NRA formula. This runs about 1750
    from my SS GG and will consistently do 1.5-2" with a low power
    scope or Lyman peep at 100 yds. Same results with Rem or Speer
    405 jbullets. Kills well, too.

Brian Pearce reports that this load meets Trapdoor pressure
    levels, apparently due to the relatively slow burning powder.

Of course, if you are talking about benchrest accy, this sure isn't
    going to win any prizes, but it sure works for a hunting load.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Cast Boolits Owner

Pistol or Rifle, does not matter.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    Are we talking pistols, rifles, or both? I am particularly interested in guide gun results.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    My best is about 3-4 inches at 100 yards real old eyes, iron sights, and a cast 405 boolit over 3031. Thats an actual group fired by me. Not one by the majic MOA fairy that often shoots for people.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dframe View Post
    My best is about 3-4 inches at 100 yards real old eyes, iron sights, and a cast 405 boolit over 3031. Thats an actual group fired by me. Not one by the majic MOA fairy that often shoots for people.
    If someone gets done with their MOA fairy I sure could use it over here at my place. I could use a visit from the casting fairy as well. The kids are shooting up all my hard work.

I couldn't give Frank the answers he was looking for. I just shoot what ever shoots the best in the firearms I have. If it is full power loads then so be it. I can't see waisting the powder shooting low pressure loads that won't group.

Cast Boolits Owner

I understand completely PT. Wherever the best load for me falls is what it is. I do not require .2 accuracy for my shooting as I never tried to shoot anything so tiny that I needed that kind of accuracy. I do like shooting 100 rounds of 45-70 during a range visit vs. 20 rounds. Down here everyday is t-shirt day and of course I do not use shoulder pads so the low pressure rounds are much more fun.

Robert
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    I understand completely PT. Wherever the best load for me falls is what it is. I do not require .2 accuracy for my shooting as I never tried to shoot anything so tiny that I needed that kind of accuracy. I do like shooting 100 rounds of 45-70 during a range visit vs. 20 rounds. Down here everyday is t-shirt day and of course I do not use shoulder pads so the low pressure rounds are much more fun.

Robert
    I save the heavy loads for the late fall and early winter so I have the carhearts on. I also have a PAST pad ( I'm a sissy). I'm waiting to get started on our 45-70. I tried some Varget? I think. I'd have to check my notes but it was mid range for starters. We were shooing pop cans with it at 25 yards but that was as far as we got with it. I cast up a couple hundered boolits for it and would like to get it warmed up here soon. I'm like you though, I'd rather shoot 100 than 25 any day of the week and to be honest most of the time a milk jug at 100 is good enough to make me happy.
    Last edited by part_timer; 09-13-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not a Sub -MOA Fairy, if we are gonna fantisize then why not go big by goin smaller
    and add me to the list, but only if the result of the visit are lasting.

Banned
    1.5-2 moa is the best accuracy for 45/70? This caliber must be able to do better. Mountain Gun gave us a powder charge, gun and velocity. Dframe, what powder charge and is it a rifle? I'm interested in the most accurate loads, rifle, pistol or both, for 45/70. Also, the jury is still out on whether the 45/70 is suitable for a Contender.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by runnin lead View Post
    Why not a Sub -MOA Fairy, if we are gonna fantisize then why not go big by goin smaller
    and add me to the list, but only if the result of the visit are lasting.
    That isn't a fantasy at all. Several people here do that. 4570s come in all types, weights and descriptions. Most people like to see how macho they are and really load them up with heavy boolits and charges. The more recoil you get, the harder it is too shoot them well. They don't respond to benchrest type of holding either. Trapdoor level loads are a lot more accomodating to the shoulder and grouping ability. A really nice load is about 23 to 24 gr. of SR4759 and a 360 to 405 gr. boolit cast out of very soft alloy sized to 0.462".

Boolit Grand Master
    Two loads have worked for me in mine and my buddy's Buff Classic:

1 - 30 grs 4198, speed green, standard primer, 415 grain boolit (group buy- WFN,-PB, pure lead, touch of lino), pinch of Dacron. Mild recoil hovering right around that 1 MOA or a might bigger.

2 - 40 grs 3031, speed green, standard primer, 415 grain boolit (group buy-WFN,PB, 33% WW, 66% pure lead + a touch of lino). Firm recoil just over 1 MOA.

With load #2, I benched a twenty five yard target (scope) that was one hole less than the width of two meplats from that boolit. Love those WFN meplats. They cut such a nice, clear hole in the paper.

Tried a little SR 4759 with 365 RD GC boolits, speed green, pinch of Dacron at 24, 25, 26, & 27 gr loads and just didn't get the same grouping I did with #1 & #2. I'm still working on that powder & boolit. Got progressivly better as I approached 27 grs.
    Last edited by 725; 09-14-2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added info

Ranch Dog 350Gr RNFP GC /Marlin 1895 GS 45-70 100 Yards. Bottom two sighters top three for group.

Hornady 350GR 100 yards Same Marlin at 100 yards.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Mold
    whats the powder and charge for the above group with the ranch dog bullets, Im looking to stock up on powder and would like one that works well with both cast and jacketed 350 gr bullets. thanks

For the Ranch Dog 350 I used 52.OGr of H-322. If I were you I would try 51,OGr up to 52.5 and see how they shoot for you. But be aware that both loads given THUMP. Get a Limbsaver Butt Pad for that rifle.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    I am using 51.5 grs of H322 with the RD 350 w/Hornady gas checks and LLA. I am getting 5 Shot groups between 1.75" to 2.00" at 100 yds in my M1895G with a 1.75 power scope. I can verify JesterGrin 1's observation that this load thumps. It chronographed at 1890 fps on a 102 degree day.

G

Gee Wizz01 Thank You for jumping in. I think saying it thumps is an understatement lol.

I will put it another way. When I was at the Shooting Range another person had a Marlin 1895G with the 22 in barrel. And he was using factory made bullets. Sorry forget what make. But he had a 12 power scope on his and he could not get better than a 4 in group at 100 yards. He saw my target and asked what I was shooting and I informed him with all the info. And he asked if he could try a few and I said sure. I gave him 5 rounds to try. But he only shot 1 and gave the rest back lol.

Banned
    I use SR4759 in the BFR and Marlin Guide gun because that's what 44man recommended. Astonishing accuracy with Dacron filler, both guns. I agree with 45 2.1 and 725. What is the need for speed?

What is the need for speed? Distance

Boolit Master
    My best loads in the 45-70 are a Lyman 458125 (the 385 gr RN) over 42 gr of IMR 3031 gives .75" three shot groups out of my Ruger #3 carbine. Lee 405 gr sized .459" over 70 gr by Volume Pyrodex in my Shiloh LR Express gives 5 shot groups of .95" at 100 yards. Postel 535 gr sized ..459" with 62 gr of GOEX FFG and a .030" fiber wad under the bullet gives me 10 shot 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards from my C Sharps 1875 rifle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast