Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit the mother lode!

Boolit Master

Hit the mother lode!

Went out to the range this afternoon and shot some, when I got there I saw them working with a front end loader in the indoor pistol range. They were replacing the sand in the pit, I have never shot in the range as it is locked except for matches and just never shot in any of there events. Noticed large chunks of "rocks" in the old sand looked and they were nearly pure chunks of lead and sand. Ask the man in charge of the indoor range if I might pick up a few pieces of lead, his answer was " H*** you can have it all as far as I am concerned" I picked up about 1000# and I called my son and he and my granddaughter were picking up when I left.
    The good thing about the lead is nothing but cast boolits and 22's are allowed no J-word allowed.
    He said that the pile would be there for a long while and any member could pick up what he wanted. I noticed that the top of the chunks three inches deep were almost pure lead the bottom were mixed with sand.
    Now I have to find some containers to store the lead in after I wash the sand out.

Awesome find, congrats!

AJ

Boolit Master
    Freightman, great find there. I would go back until there wasn't any left if no one else wanted it. I wouldn't take the time to wash the sand out I would just start melting it down and skimming the sand off and then fluxing and skimming until it is clean....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

The Mother Lode indeed! I'm with hammerhead though... washing it is a waste of time.

Boolit Buddy
    Great find.
    I agree with hammerhead too.
    I melt range boolits. I get dirt, wood and rock.
    It will get out of the way, same as jackets.

Boolit Buddy
    + on the above. No need to wash, just smelt,flux and pour.Thatīs the way I got my first 500#.
    Really great find,good luck with it.
    Uwe

Boolit Master
    Wow great run of luck. Get all you can while you can.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Boolit Master
    I don't wash it. But I do shake it on a screen I have for sifting rocks out of the dirt for the garden. That gets out most of the sand. The wood and jackets are easy to skim off.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by qajaq59 View Post
    I don't wash it. But I do shake it on a screen I have for sifting rocks out of the dirt for the garden. That gets out most of the sand. The wood and jackets are easy to skim off.

I do the same. My first time working with range lead I used 3 hours hosing down 160lbs and 48 hours drying them on the floor of my parents' bathroom

Total waste of time....

By the way nice load there indeed!!
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

now find a 6-7' scrap of channel iron set up over a fire set it on a little angle lead will run off the sand stays fast and cheap Clint

Boolit Master
    Will go back next week after I build a storage area, if I did it in a bed room I would need no more lead, might need some removed.

Boolit Master

Hmmm, Amarillo isn't THAT far for me to drive. Where exactly is this range located?
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Dang! Good find!

Boolit Master

Will go back next week after I build a storage area
    Heck, a pile in the back yard is storage area enough. Get it while you can and melt it at your leisure.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

Hey, I appreciate you collecting my lead for me, I forgot I had signed that "exclusive recovery" deal with that club in Amarillo...please forward to my home address (to come via PM later)

Great find and I hope you enjoy the new cache of lead

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Cast Boolits Owner

Sorry to have to inform you guys but my ancestors hold "mineral" rights to that land dating back the the 1800's so that means that anything mined from the ground belongs to me!

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    I live in Florida, but wouldn't mind commuting if it's a good club like that one

Boolit Master
    I liked the, "Put it in the back yard" idea. Hopefully you are a sound sleeper too. Because I wouldn't want to disturb you!!!
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Cast Boolits Owner

Want to split his stash?

I am in Jacksonville and have a HUGE truck with a good trailer capable of moving 13 - 14 tons of the stuff. We just need to pick up a few 55 gallon drums on the way to load the stash and we will be fat. Come on up and we can split the fuel cost.

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I live in Florida, but wouldn't mind commuting if it's a good club like that one
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

All you guys are shameless
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast