MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: #258 Hensley & Gibbs for 41 Magnum

Boolit Buddy

#258 Hensley & Gibbs for 41 Magnum

I would appreciate help from few lucky ones that have original #258 Hensley & Gibbs for 41 Magnum. Would you please check dimensions on original #258 and let me know how that bullet compares with this one I designed:

Basic data:

Band dia. (all): .413”
    Weight: 211 gr. (WW)
    Meplat dia.: .280”
    Meplat to crimp groove: .395”
    OAL: .708”

All bands and grease groove lgth. .090”. Please make note that I “cheated” a bit on front face of the front band; it is conical 10°. I made it to get bullet drop easier from the mould. Seems to me that some other SWC-s recently designed (here) had something similar, and my friend who is long time in casting suggested the same.

As far as I know, #258 is the bullet Keith designed and apparently is more accurate in most revolvers than any other cast bullet in this calibre.

I found that Balisticast makes #858 http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%...20Page%205.htm , but, oh boy, they are asking $211 for 4-cavity with cross venting. Anybody else makes this mould today?

Thanks, Onty.

Meauring from the mould, and not from the bullets (which I have some cast up, but can't find them at the moment):

Band dia. (all): ~.413”
    Weight: as I recall it weighs about 220 grain cast with WW alloy
    Meplat dia.: ~.290” (hard to measure exactly because the edge is rounded slightly)
    Meplat to crimp groove: .405”
    OAL: .760”

All driving bands .100”
    grease groove .120"

NEI makes a .41-220-SWC that is VERY similar to the H&G #258 (~220 grains, .300" meplat, .395" crimp groove to meplat, .110" driving bands, .110" lube groove, OAL = .740). Mountain Molds could make you one to your specs.
    Glen

Boolit Master
    Leadheads 230K is also very close to the NEI- I have measure to know the difference while I have the lyman 410459 I too would some time like to get one a little Keith ier

Boolit Master
    btw NEI told they me have about a 3 week turn around at least when I asked-- Mountain Mold has 6-10 weeks but you can design your own NEI is about $90 and MM is 85
    Last edited by GLynn41; 09-12-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: addition

What do you mean Keith ier than a 410459, I thought that was as "Keith" as you could get

Nope, Elmer Keith did not design the 410459, and was upset when Lyman released it calling it a "Keith" because he did not design it, and he did not like a number of its features (i.e. small meplat, uneven driving bands, and rounded grease groove). He went to H&G and drew up the #258 (making it the "real" Keith SWC for .41 caliber), and then H&G went back and picked up his original designs in .357, .44 and .45 and brought them out as well (with a couple of subtle improvements, like changing the bevel on the grease groove and adding radiused filets to the bottom of the grease groove and crimp grooves).
    Glen

Boolit Master
    yeah what Glenn said-- but the bullet is very accurate-- and the wide front band has given me some trouble in a tight chambered 4 5/8s Bhawk I have-- the 410459 would be a Keith type I guess-

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GLynn41 View Post
    yeah what Glenn said-- but the bullet is very accurate-- and the wide front band has given me some trouble in a tight chambered 4 5/8s Bhawk I have-- the 410459 would be a Keith type I guess-
    Did you check chambers' dia? If chambers are .412 or .413 you should consider yourself as a lucky. Simple solution; just size bullet down; .001" less than what you have now will solve the problem. I have two moulds and tried another three bullets and all of them have front band less than 1/16" length and max .409" dia. Other bands were sized on .412".

Some years ago one well know gun-rug writer complained: he couldn't load round in chamber and blasting mould maker for "bad" bullet design that causing him a problem?!

Boolit Master
    I never really have-- it is my son's gun and it is rarely shot --ought 2 though--to make my self clear--the 410459 gives no problem-- but with the NeI mold keith has