Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: 308 mdl 100

Boolit Master

308 mdl 100

was in a pawn shop, and being a 308 nut, saw a mdl 100 308......

ok the silly question , is what are they worth.
    clean not great, with a inexpensive 3/9 scope......

a problem for lead shooting.....????

and...added

what is the manufacture years of the 100 ???......did not see it in an 86 gun book ???
    Last edited by mike in co; 04-13-2006 at 01:50 AM.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Mike, First thing to know is whether or not the rifle has had the firing pin alteration done to correct the "unlocked" firing problem. was a warranty repair for a long time, but may not be now,considering the winchester situation. As to use with boolits,no experience,but have not heard anything yeah/nay as to any worse than other gas operated self-feeders. Triggers a well publicized mess sans any easy fix.. I killed a goodly quantity of big game with my 284 when I was so deep in the ratrace that I could either hunt or reload, but not both..when I got the 99F I put it in the rack..would not pay over $300 unless NIB..then I would try to find collector !! Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

They go for between $400-500 around here in decent shape before deer season, maybe $75-100 less after. I used to load for a friend's .308 m100, it liked Hdy & Sierra 180RN's best. Strange. Never tried cast in it as it was sold before I started doing rifle boolits, and I don't know if they would cause problems in it. It was not as accurate as two m88's my brother owns. Another friend presently has a m100 in .243, and that one is a tack driver - .75MOA with it's favorite load. He won't let me try it with cast. Oh well.... He got it for $400 two summers ago. If it's the older version with the walnut stock and cut checkering, it could go for more, a lot more if it's in good condition and there is collector interest in the area. Hope that's some help.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master
    the tag said factory recall completed.......
    they have a 500 tag on it, but its just a starting point...

its 60 miles away, and no rush here, so i'll just wait till the next time i'm up there.

In Remebrance

Anywhere near the Adirondack Mts they go for $350.00 on up. Depends on the condition and wood. Those that have them LOVE them. Same with the 88's.

Banned
    I have a Model 100 in 243 that's the carbine that I'd sell cheaper then that. Tasco 3x9 scope with I believe Redfield base and rings.

Joe

stephen perry

Winchester 100

These were some of the best examples of a semi auto rifle to come out of the Commercial genius of Winchester. My Gun Traders guide says they were produced from 1961-1973. The calibers were .243, .284, and .308. I saw 2 in 25 years in the shop I worked at. A .243 and a .308. The .308 sold quickley the .243 took a season. My boss a Winchester dealer said tthe 100 was a bolt action on gas. He always had high marks for anything pre-64 Winchester.

I considered buying the gun but already had a Rem 742 in 30-06. I would buy a 100 if a .284 or .308 came by.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Grand Master
    They are kind of a pain to take apart. Make sure it has the correct magazine, you really don't want to buy an extra one. Also make sure the barrel is good, I have read somewhere that it is almost impossible to rebarrel these guns correctly.

If they fit you they will feel like a good birdgun in the hands, as long as you don't put a giant scope on it.

Since it is at a pawn shop, I would offer $300 for it and go from there. There is a simple way to tell if it is pre or post 64; unfortunately I can't remember what it is. I believe the .308 was the most common caliber.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

308 is the most common caliber I have seen in them.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Their triggers are not the greatest and nothing can be done to make them better from what I have heard.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Pre 64 has cut checkering. Post has that stamped "basket weave" griping surface.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    so can anyone tell me why we are discussing a question asked FOUR YEARS AGO ??
    ( the gun aint there no more)

mike in co

Boolit Grand Master

so did you buy it 4 years ago?
    Charter Member #148