Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Tumble lube or not?

Boolit Bub

Question Tumble lube or not?

I’m not sure if this has been posted before or not so I’ll ask just in case. Can you use a lube like LBT on tumble lube bullets, if so what was your results with it?

Banned

Yep, just run 'em the lube/sizer machine like normal. Why you would want to use LBT on a tumble design is beyond me when LLA/JPW/paint thinner works just as well and applies to 500 in about 10 seconds.

Gear

Whats wrong with LLA on tumble groove bullets? I have several 45 caliber Tumble lube bullets that shoot GREAT! I just cast, lube'em and load'em and get great accuracy from them.
    IF THE 50 CALIBER CANT GET IT DONE ..............RUN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    SCI MEMBER

Banned

maybe he don't like the smoke, or don't got no lla, or...

They sell it every day. Its a whole lot les messing around than setting up a standard lube machine.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    SCI MEMBER

Boolit Bub
    It seems to take a lot of time and mess to use LLA or the other when you can just run it thru the Saeco and have it lubed and checked in one short moment. Yes, I have 3 bottles LLA and have used them and they do work, It’s time and there has not been that much of it this last year and a half to do so. I’d use LLA if I could lube the boolits in one dip.
    The other think I don’t like is how the Lee seats the gas check as it is not as tight as when I us my Saeco.
    So I’m open to what you have to say and any ideas you have.

Banned

Just use the Saeco, you'll be fine.

If you get leading, I assure you it's not because of the boolit design. Try something other than LBT like BAC or Carnauba Red from Lar's.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus

I've run LLA up to about 2200 fps with heat treated ww and a gc without any leading problems or attendant loss of accuracy. I think bullet fit and alloy are more important than lube type here. I use felix, Carn Red, and LLA just depending on bullet and application but have not found a 1600 or below limit to LLA.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44 mag nut View Post
    It seems to take a lot of time and mess to use LLA or the other when you can just run it thru the Saeco and have it lubed and checked in one short moment. Yes, I have 3 bottles LLA and have used them and they do work, It’s time and there has not been that much of it this last year and a half to do so. I’d use LLA if I could lube the boolits in one dip.
    The other think I don’t like is how the Lee seats the gas check as it is not as tight as when I us my Saeco.
    So I’m open to what you have to say and any ideas you have.
    Swiz the bullets with LLA and put them through the sizing die wet.

When you have finished sizing your batch, give them another quick swiz with a little more LLA and put them out on a cookie sheet.

Messy, but extremely fast.

Simples!

Boolit Bub
    I’ll fire up the pots this afternoon and do some and try it with LBT Blue that I have in my sizer now and when that is gone I’ll try some of the other stuff too as a test.
    Leading up the barrel is not much of an issue as it will be casting some of Ranch Dogs 460 molds is 350gr and 425gr boolits. I do water drop my ww’s so they should be hard and drop out of the mold at the right size. Then one night this week or next weekend I should be able to do some shooting with my 450M

My question is, were is the lube from a lube machine going? the lube grooves on a tumble lube bullet is tiny by comparison to the type of bullet that is normaly used in the, Lyman, RCBS sizer? Is enough gonna stick to do any good? Or will the lube just be peeled off in the size die on the extraction stroke?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    SCI MEMBER

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Caliber View Post
    My question is, were is the lube from a lube machine going? the lube grooves on a tumble lube bullet is tiny by comparison to the type of bullet that is normaly used in the, Lyman, RCBS sizer? Is enough gonna stick to do any good? Or will the lube just be peeled off in the size die on the extraction stroke?
    If the lube is sticky enough, it works. One reason I don't like lbt, not very sticky, tends to flake off.

Gear