Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Home made Lube Seperated

Question Home made Lube Seperated

4 pts Bees wax
    2 pts Neutrogena Bar Soap
    1 prt Pure Neatsfoot Oil
    1 prt Crisco Hard not Liquid
    1 Green Crayola wax crayon for color

When it cooled seperated. So I remelted it and let it cool again and it seperated again.
    Any help would help
    Bottom 1/2 is green the top half is yellow.
    Both halves feel the same in texture on the soft side of hard and really slippery.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Banned
    Kodiak,

When I had seperation problems with my homemade lube (50/50 parafin & vaseline), I learned from the members here to add shredded Ivory soap to the mix. It took a little while to work out a technique to get the soap to melt properly, but my second batch of lube came out about perfect. Proper hardness (I think) and no seperation.

I'm not sure if the soap you're using contains the same ingredients as Ivory? Could it be the crayon?

Just some thoughts.

SSB

Banned
    Here are several ideas that have saved me in the past..

I am speculating from the ingredients you are after a BP lube, if I am right try adding a 2 teaspoons of Murphys' oil soap when it is melted and quite warm stir till it stops hissing and sputtering then cook for an hour or so(make sure you have some extra room in your pan) it WILL boil up quite a bit..

If it is for smokeless loads, take a cup full of the mix in a seperate pan, get it smoking hot and add a large teaspoon of grated ivory soap a little at a time till soap is gone. Make sure you get it really hot and keep a lid handy in case of flare up. then just add it back into the melted mix in your other container and cook on warm for at least an hour. Lubes get better the more you cook em. the small container will take on a darker appearance, but will not affect the mix as a whole once added back in.

Either of these will make the lube a bit softer so if you wanna maintain your hardness you may have to add an 1/8 lb more bwax or so.

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Banned

I make a lot of BP lubes and the one you describe will separate. I pour the hot lube in a jar and stir with a stick until it gets cold. Keep stirring until you can't. It comes out just fine.

Boolit Master
    You could be getting it too hot. try mixing it at just above the melting point . Then let it set. Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Banned

Buck, doesn't matter! It will form layers unless stirred until cold.

Thanks one and all. I have found two options here and will try them one at a time.
    Will let you all know how I made out.
    Thanks again Ken.
    Ken.

1 lb bees wax
    1 cup olive oil
    1 bar of Crisco (the stuff that comes in 3 packs wrapped in foil)
    1 ring of Bol-Wax (toilet seal)

ZERO problems... never any seperation, works in all BP guns I have shot.

It makes enough top fill 4 "pans" for lubing. (8" square)

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum
    try adding a 2 teaspoons of Murphys' oil soap when it is melted and quite warm stir till it stops hissing and sputtering then cook for an hour or so(make sure you have some extra room in your pan) it WILL boil up quite a bit..
    You are right on that one. I needed to switch to a water bath canning pot to make a 2# batch of BP lube. Then I still had a slight run over once adding only 1/3 cup at a time.
    I had to strip down the entire stove to clean out lube that went crazy adding Murphy's to it.
    The wife got take out and laughed the whole night as I scraped, cleaned, then washed and scrubbed every last piece.

If your going to do this, do it outside!!!
    Did I mention that my wife is quite tollerant, and somtimes supportive of my obsessions?

I did end up with a mix that will not melt on the dash of the car in summer with the windows rolled up. I had to put it under a heat lamp to get it to melt. It's almost impossible to get it into a mold to make sticks out of though.

Banned
    It is nice to have one of them tolerant wives now isn't it. some of my buddies sure have it rough. My father in law did me a huge , HUGE, favor when he raised my wife. She knows how stuff works and when I make a mess of the kitchen she laughs it off as long as I clean up my mess in a timely manner. When I married my wife not only did I gain a wife I gained a wonderful friend/mentor in my father in law, and he will not be around nearly as long as I wold like him to be.

Sometimes a guy just gets REALLY LUCKY.

My Mrs. will tolerate most of my antics as long as the house doesn't go onfire.

She also knows where the keys to the gun cabinet are hidden... makes for an interesting marriage.

Tried to melt Ivory soap to stir in wouldn't melt in miz so tried it in microwave not a chance! Cleaned all that out of the melt added 1 more part Hard Crisco melted down let it simmer for 1 hour stirring regularly and it looks like I got her done this time. Want to see if it is close to SPG for Softness I will be happy sure is slippery stuff.
    Thanks for all the hints and helps will tell more after shooting with it.
    Thanks Again Ken.
    Ken.

Banned

Ivory soap needs a lot of heat and time to melt. You have to make real fine shavings with a razor blade. The heat can ruin some of the ingredients. Murphy's oil soap works fine.