Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Reduced Power 38 Super Load

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range

Question Reduced Power 38 Super Load

I have finally finished with my 38 Super 1911. Pretty basic stuff: trigger, barrel and bushing and a 10# spring. This pistol is intended to be a paper puncher and a plate pounder. I have two moulds for this that I have poured some boolits out of. One is a 130gr Truncated Cone, and the other is a rather heavy for the caliber 147gr SWC. I always have 231, Bullseye, and Unique on hand, but I know where I can get some Clays for really cheap right now. I was thinking of using about 3gr of one of the above to start. Anyone out there have any experience with the 38 Super and light loads?

Boolit Buddy
    The Hodgdon website has Clays listed as a load for 38 Super for 135gr LRN.

I have a few M1911's, but they're .45 ACP; no .38 Supers. I haven't a clue what your stock spring tension was.

But I've heard good things from other .45 ACP shooters about how clean Clays is.

Oh, you're probably aware but just in case - there is Clays, then there is Universal Clays, and International Clays. They are three different powders, Clays being the fastest burning of the three.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Can't give you a load but if Clays is listed then I would try it. Clays not only is the cleanest powder in several 38 spl and 45 Colt loads but the most accurate.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Bub
    I shoot a S&W 686 in 38 Super and have only used jacketed or plated bullets in it. With the 124 to 130 gr. jacketed or plated bullets and the 151 gr. plated bullets I have used 4.5 gr. W-231 for ca 900 fps. I have also used American Select with the 151 gr. Rainier plated bullet with 3.4 to 3.8 gr. giving me ca 800 to 900 fps. Both powders provide clean burns. Sorry but I do not any lead bullet data since I do not use lead bullets in either 9mm or 38 Super.