Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: subsonic shotgun slug

Boolit Mold

Question subsonic shotgun slug

Hello,

I have unfamiliar shotgun because it is air-shotgun...

Well, I won't go into any details now, but am asking about velocity... because I have had problems with stabilization when using plain weight or mass-stabilization, foster type of slugs (ie shuttlecock stabilization).

Has anyone shot usual foster slugs subsonically?

Shuttlecock should stabilize in subsonic velocity, because ordinary shuttlecocks always do.... why do foster slugs tumble in subsonic velocity when I'm shooting those off of big bore airgun's smoothbore barrel..?

Boolit Grand Master

Seppo:

My thinking is that most Foster slugs are not very aerodynamic and likely the nose creates so much turbulence that they become unstable. Just my opinion.

I have read that some very blunt nosed slugs become unstable when the velocity drops below a certain (?) speed. I haven't done enough testing to determine which designs are most stable but I am willing to bet if there is a difference, the more aerodynamic slug will be most stable. Again, just my opinion.

I have to think that there is significant turbulence as the slug goes transonic which for many full bore slugs would be around 50 to 60 yards. Some seem to produce decent accuracy out to 100 yards or so and some do not ~ at least in my experience.

So far the best stability and accuracy I have seen is with relatively long very nose heavy slugs like AQ, Gualandi and Brenneke. Talking smoothbore here.

What slug designs have you tried?

Longbow

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    When I was fooling around with sound suppressor designs, I saw a lot of problems with projectile stability if the round had to endure a "transonic period" during its flight.

But in the case of projectiles that started out sub-sonic to begin with, I rarely had problems. (...Assuming, of course, that the projectile was properly stable to start with.)

I can't think of any reason why a Foster type slug that starts out sub-sonic would be LESS stable than one that has to make a transonic transition: ......But I have never claimed to be the "sharpest tool in the shed"!

.......Maybe a better mind than mine will suggest a possible hypothesis.

If the problem doesn't get resolved, you might consider trying a Round Ball. I have virtually abandoned slugs in favor of properly sized round balls in all of my smooth-bores. (Good "service accuracy" and far superior penetration.)

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Mold

Gualandi...

Well, I heard they have had excellent results with Gualandi slugs in airshotguns, because it has enough long base wad that makes the weight equation of slug about perfect...

I'm searching materials for base wd now... thinking about delrin (expensive?) or even basic wood...

That should make enough shuttlecock-like slug. Slug should have equal part of base wad as lead (so, slug made half of lead half of plastic)... Then it should fly straight even in very slow speeds.

Any ideas, comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mistäs tehdä tällaisia wadeja.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    This slug is the bee's knees out of my smooth bore. The company say it gives best accuracy at velocties above 430 meters a second which equates to about 1400fps have'nt loaded it below this so cant say if what they say is true. Brennekes are also good they just have a simple fibre wad which is attached with a wood screw, you could go that route. Do a search on google images and youll see what I mean.