MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: one powder for 45-70 ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinchrock View Post
    Maybe around 70gr black???
    My thoughts exactly. Why change it up, keep the cast and go with black.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I must say that good ol' IMR 3031 has served me quite well not only in 45-70 (before I turned completely over to the Darkside) but also in a variety of other cartridges from 30-06 to 223. It is an amazingly versatile powder that many times provides the best accuracy for a given cartridge. In my Sharps rifle this powder once sent a group of five Rem 405 grain JSP into a 5/8" ragged hole at 100 yards. Fortunately I have not had trouble with loaded rounds losing their accuracy after sitting over a year. If I had to choose just one and only one rifle powder it would be 3031 and for pistol it would be Unique.

I'm another for 3031...But if you go into Hodgdon and look at the presure data you will see that Varget is immpossible to beat.

Varget has a very wide range, from 40 gr.'s in trapdoors {fun to shoot and a lot like a Black Powder load in my sharps} to 60gr.'s in Ruger No. 1's {feels like a 458 win in my Browning 86} behind a 405 boolit.

Varget opperates at a much lower pressure to give the same velocity as some of the high pressure powders. I am on my 32nd Lb of Varget threw 45-70's since discovering it. I still have half of my fist can of 4198.. I couldn't believe the blast and recoil from 4198 compared to the velocity reading on my chrono.

Boolit Master

Another powder that gives high velocity with low pressure in 45/70 is 748 While it may not be suitable for every application, It'll do about 1700 fps with a 405 jacketed at TRAPDOOR pressures.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Buddy
    For cast only, ( I don't understand why anyone would shoot jacketed in a 45 cal rifle) 4759 is for me the best all round powder for 300-420gr cast slugs. 3031 and 4198 are also very good and would also be good all round choices. I've fired several 1000 rounds from a 450Marlin, (a twin to the 45-70) and the above powders are all very good.

Boolit Mold
    For cast only, ( I don't understand why anyone would shoot jacketed in a 45 cal rifle)
    several reasons ; I have them and they're too small to be effective paper weights, breaking in a new barrel with jacketed bullets first smooths the throat and reduces leading/fouling later, finally, I am waiting for my sizing die and therefore cannot yet apply gas checks and want to make some loads to hunt with this fall. And just to answer all those that have suggested FFg, where does one purchase real black powder anymore? I hunted with a muzzle loader long before they were fashonable and only used black powder, now all I can find is substitutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12