Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Stripping cas check indents

Stripping cas check indents

Gentlemen:
    It's very hard to obtain shooting supplies like gas checks and moulds where I live. My gas check supply is over, and I had the GC indent in my RCBS 240 SWC GC mould removed. The resulting bullet shoots very well, and I find no barrel leading at velocities in excess of 1600 fps in my 24" Rossi rifle. Same thing in my Redhawk and Super Blackhawk Rugers, @ 1,400+. I recently obtained an RCBS 300 grain mould, and am thinking of doing the same thing. Somebody advised me not to do it, and cited umpteen "technical" reasons. I have the highest respect for the amassed knowledge and experience residing in this forum, and would appreciate your comments. Thank you

Do it

Machado,

Based on what you have said, I'd say do it.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome to the board, Machado.

I use fewer and fewer gas-checked boolits in my handguns as time goes on. If the barrel dimensions are consistent, and the boolit fits--things work well. I still use gas checked designs in most of my rifle applications, but I suspect that I could use plain-based designs in many of the rifles. The 45-70 and 44-40 are two that come to mind where decent accuracy and no leading result with plain based boolits. I also have a 25-20 that didn't shoot the RCBS plain based 85 grainer well at first, and wouldn't shoot a couple gas-check designs either. The rifle is starting to behave itself now, and I think it was more a barrel break-in issue than anything else. I should re-visit the RCBS boolit, for no other reason than the little bitty 25 caliber GC's are a pain to deal with.

A LOT of the posters here have turned off the gas check shank on their molds. I'm sure they will jump in here with their experiences.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I have a two cavity RCBS 30-180-FN that began life as a gas check design. A previous owner reamed the gas check shank to just slightly larger than band diameter, and by doing so, created a base band of .070 thickness and increased the weight from 180gr to 194gr. Using this boolit in the 30-30, I have had good accuracy results up to 1450fps and have had no leading whatsoever. I am confident that due to the strength of that base band, I'll easily make it to the 1600-1800fps range before the boolit fails. I'd say "go for it". As long as you load it within the realistic limits of the design, you will be ok.
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Machado, welcome to the board! You are the first member from South America that I remember. Plain base bullets were all that was available until 100 years ago, and set accuracy records that still stand. If you have a skilled machinist available who can accurately modify moulds I would encourage you to have it done. I have the same RCBS 44-240 GC mould (unaltered) as you do. I am enjoying better accuracy with the RCBS 250 KT (plain base) from both a Marlin Cowboy rifle and a S&W 629 revolver. My favorite load is 7.0 grains Green Dot, which goes 1200 fps from the rifle and 950 fps from the pistol.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Welcome to the forum!
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Thank you, gentlemen, for your warm welcome. The machinist already has my mould to cut the shanks off. I'll post the results.