RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question on .30-06 and Unique...

In Remembrance

Question on .30-06 and Unique...

I shot a load in .30-06 that yeilded roughly a 1 inch group at 50 yards and I want to stretch it out to 100-150 yards. I loaded a LEE 160g cast round nose bullet w/GC over 16 grains of Unique, CCI 200 primer and tumbled in ALOX, I talked with a guy tonight that told me he shot 150-170g bullets over 18g of Unique. My question is, isn't 18g of Unique a little much pistol powder for the .30-06? He told me he was hitting clay pigeons and grapefruits at 200 yards with this 18g load but he used Lyman bullets and Remington primers. This is a Winchester model 70 if it makes a difference.

Boolit Grand Master

Might be OK, might not. I don't load Unique that high in rifles.

I kind of think that 16 may be pushing things a bit. I like 10 gr of Unique as my "universal
    milsurp battle rifle mild cast boolit load". Seems accurate in darned near anything and
    is safe in any of the 20th century milsurp bottleneck battle rifles.

I'd look at Lyman's loading manual and see what it says about Unique in .30-06.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Excuse my ignorance, but why a handgun powder in a rifle cartridge?

Boolit Buddy
    like mygunn said start low and work up, I like unique in everything, low recoil , (my daughter 9 yrs old )love the load, I'm using 15 in 45-70 but 30-06 i lean toward 13 its all ya need in mine, thx because i'm cheap and unique lets me shoot more with less powder , but for higher performance and hunting i switch to different powder and loads. kjg

In Remembrance

I had started at 11.5 g. of Red Dot and 14 g. of Unique and am now at 13 g. of Red Dot and 16 g. of Unique. I found a Lyman reloading Handbook today and it shows 13.5 g. of Red Dot and 16.5 g. of Unique as Max. loads so I am holding tight where I am at. I have reloaded for several years with jacketed bullets and am a rookie at cast, the books that I have aren't very good for cast unless it handgun ammo. I will be glad when my new Lyman Cast Bullet book gets here.

thx997303, the main reason I am working up a handgun powder load for a rifle is a safe reduced load for light recoil so my youngest son can shoot the '06 without getting knocked off the bench.

The Unique load just started to flatten out the primers but doesn't look to be trying to push them out.

Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but why a handgun powder in a rifle cartridge?
    Unique is it's name implies has many uses. Besides handgun loads, I load for my 30/30, 30/40, 30-06. and 35 Remington with Unique and cast boolits.
    "A man's got to know his limitations"
    Greg

Why use a handgun powder?
    economy mostly,low recoil partly,availabilty right now is also a factor,but that is improving somewhat.
    Using approx. 1/3 less powder works for me .

Boolit Master
    Lead-1,
    I was just looking at my Lyman 49th edition load manual. For a 30-06 with a cast 160gr boolit they have 18gr of Unique as the starting load and 24gr as the max.

I was shooting loads consisting of 13,14,15,16, and 17 grains of Unique in my 30-36 yesterday behind the Saeco 180 gr FP cast from air cooled wheel weights. The sweet spot for accuracy was the 16 grain charge which shot well under an inch at 50 yards for 5 shots. (see attached photo) My rifle was an NEF Handi Rifle. I've also found a sweet spot with Unique between 10, and 12 grains, and I just use the charge that seals the particular chamber I'm shooting at the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails targets 001.jpg  

Brand new load I tried Sat just before dark.

8.8gr Unique - Lee 185gr cast sized .311 Win m94 30-30 - 100yds off the bench, iron sights & old eyes. 6 shots into 1 1/8". 1st shot at 5 o'clock was a sighter. Changed my hold and the next 6 went into the group shown. For what it's worth,10grs shot into 1.49" in this 94 but was a little too much.

The attached photo doesn't enlarge properly but gets the idea across. Plan to take a box of those loads to the range soon.

10gr Unique seems to work pretty well in the '06 (and 8x57) as a plinking load.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Target.jpg  
    NRA Life Memeber

In Remembrance

Looks like I might have to order a couple more new books.

Boolit Master
    My .30-06 cast load is an RCBS 30-150-SP GC bullet in front of 14 gr. of Unique. 1" groups at 100 yds, oil bottles at 200 yds, but a lot of drop!
    Selmerfan

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Lead-1,
    I was just looking at my Lyman 49th edition load manual. For a 30-06 with a cast 160gr boolit they have 18gr of Unique as the starting load and 24gr as the max.
    49th also highlights 18gr Unique start load as the potential accuracy load. With bullet #311672 in 160 grain. Velocity 1852 pressure 34,300 P.S.I.

Lyman starts that bullet out faster at higher pressure than other boolits in their book. Probably because that bullet is a real screamer. I happen to have one and got lucky with a good one of correct diameters..

For a guy that shoots dimes 4 out of 5 shots at 200 yards with a 180gr pill.

This thread is the saddest thing Ive ever read.

If you want a weenie firearm, but the kids a 17Hmr.

Boolit Master
    Hey Lead Fred, at the risk of feeding a troll, what's your point with that post, or are you just trying to be a PITA? I love my weenie .30-06 cast boolit loads. They're a blast to shoot, I can shoot them for about the cost of 17 HMR rounds, and I'm getting field position practice and trigger time with the gun that gets my meat for the year. And I'd much rather take a round of 17 HMR in the chest at 200 yds than a 150 gr. .30 caliber cast bullet. I'll take my "weenie" gun and shoot!

seems like a waste of lead to me.

Go ahead and waste away, what ever makes you happy.

even with cast, I try and get them to go as fast as they can to get the most energy I can produce without leading.

Accoridng to your first post, you wouldnt be able to hit at 200 yards.

Boolit Master
    Like I said, at the risk of feeding a troll...

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    For a guy that shoots dimes 4 out of 5 shots at 200 yards with a 180gr pill.

This thread is the saddest thing Ive ever read.

If you want a weenie firearm, but the kids a 17Hmr.
    Reloading for a keyboard isn't much fun, though I would have to agree that it is much easier to hit dimes at 200 yards with one than it is with most rifles. You have some very special equipment there, and some very special talents too. In the end though I do think you are

Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    I would have to agree that it is much easier to hit dimes at 200 yards with one than it is with most rifles. You have some very special equipment there, and some very special talents too.
    I hope you see I meant a 06 at 200 yards, not an 17HMR. Im sure you cant load a 180gr bullet in a 17HMR.

Boolit Master
    I suppose a 180 gr. bullet in .17 caliber is possible, but that would be a heck of a long bullet requiring a very, very fast twist. I don't think the 17 hmr case could propel it fast enough to achieve any sort of stabilization. We might need to move up to a .378 Wby case necked down to .17 caliber. Then one might be able to stabilize the 180 gr. .17 caliber bullet.
    Selmerfan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast