Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Cutts Compensator

Boolit Bub

Cutts Compensator

Does anyone know if a Cutts can be used with slugs and buck shot? My shot wads are not going thru the Cutts without being torn up. I used the IC choke tube.
    Bill McGraw

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't used the Cutts Compensator but I used to have a very similar after market muzzle brake and screw in tubes made or marketed, I think by, Pachmyr. I have not been able to find anything similar except the Cutts.

I had no trouble with mine and used it a lot with slugs ~ mostly 0.690" balls through cylinder bore or I/C choke tube (I can't remember which but fairly open).

This one had about a 1/8" gap between the muzzle of the barrel and the taper of the choke tube for gas bleed to the brake adn it had a lead in taper which was opened larger than the bore diameter.

If you are tearing up wads maybe yours is not dead in line or maybe it needs a lead in taper for wad entry.

Not sure if that helps but the Cutts Compensators have been around for a long time so it should work for you. If not then you should check to make sure it is installed correctly.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    A lot of guys get those wave pattern things machined into their barrels to make the wad and the shot separate cleanly and not effect the pattern. You Cutts is getting the job done for free! How good is that??
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    Longbow,
    Thanks for the reply on the Cutts. I have two of them, recently installed on my very old Win M-97 with cut off muzzle (other one on an A-5 Browning). I had a Polychoke installed that was ruined by the gunsmith installing it and would have been the better choice of chokes. It looks like the Cutts is installed straight on the axis. The large area between the muzzle and choke tube, the vented area, is what I think is the problem. I'll have to shoot more loads thru it, some with shot wads and others with card and fillers to see if there is any difference in accuracy and POI on the paper targets with slugs, buck shot and regular shot.

Boolit Bub

Cutts Compensator 12 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by billw View Post
    Does anyone know if a Cutts can be used with slugs and buck shot? My shot wads are not going thru the Cutts without being torn up. I used the IC choke tube.
    Bill McGraw
    Lyman sent me a message:

Regular lead shot would be fine through the Cutts. With buckshot, we would
    recommend only using a open choke like a Spreader. We would not recommend
    using slugs through the Cutts.

In that case I can remove the outer part of the Cutts for shooting slugs and then replace the Cutts for shot and buck shot. I have the IC choke tube but not the spreader.
    Last edited by billw; 08-24-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Add on to message