Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman 525 & roll crimp

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 525 & roll crimp

Does anybody use the Lyman 525 sabot with a roll crimp?

If so, can you give some details?

Thanks

Banned
    Here's what you asked for: The Lyman 525 slug that I cast of WW is only 500grs. I use Fiocchi 2 3/4" hulls. Fio 616 primer, Win AA12F114 Yellow wad with a well laminated.135"inch 16ga nitro card in wad below slug. Starting load of 28grs of Herco and gradually increase to MAX load of 32grs but at your own risk! Roll crimp on a drill press. I usually try to fold crimp but it all depends on the crimp index if you don't have enough room on the top of the shell to fold crimp then I roll crimp as you need less shell space to roll crimp. The pressure builds up better with fold crimp before it opens with fold crimp than roll crimp. Gives the powder a better chance to ignite well!
    Another load try 28grs of Win.WSF for starter and gradually increase to 31grs of WSF.
    Or 30grs of Longshot for starter and gradually increase to 34grs of Longshot.
    & for mild one 24grs of Unique.
    Fed 12S 4 or Fed 12S 3 wads are good too. Don't forget to put one well laminated 16Ga .135" Nitro card in wad below the slug!
    Make sure you use modern guns that are well built!
    Hope it helps
    Ajay
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-28-2021 at 11:46 AM.

I use roll crimps on my loads using this slug for my one gun that has had the chamber extended to 3-1\2" for "super" magnum slug loads. This gun has NO forcing cone so a thick 12ga. overshot card over the slug and then a roll crimp seems to work better than a fold crimp. Seems to protect the wad petals and keep them from being torn up. So with an overshot card in place a roll crimp workes just fine with this slug especially in a gun with minimal or non-existant forcing cone before the rifling begins.

However, I would not recommend using a roll crimp without an overshot card. I've tried that and had several loads that instead of the roll crimp opening up right away it tore the petals off the wad and then the slug would give terrible accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks turbo.

Just wondering. Does an overshot card affect accuracy? Guess you can tell I haven't begun reloading for slugs yet.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range.
    Why use a roll crimp when a star crimp is so easy?
    Win AA case, Win red wad, 45G blue Dot and sabot. Your done.

Banned
    Its great to re-read older post, never know what you forgot while on the bumpy road of life's challenges, getting older !